[1]

There's a knock on the door, a fresh-faced 10-year-old answers it peeking up to see a tall, skinny-looking man. "Yes?" she asks, hearing footsteps behind her.

The man seems shocked but still talks, "does a Rina Reynolds live here?" the girl looks confused but shakes her head before hearing footsteps rushing towards her when she repeats the name out loud.

She felt someone grab her from behind.

"Katherine, baby, why don't you go help Sidney in the kitchen" The girl hesitantly nods at her mother, giving the strange man one more glance, and sees that he has a look of recognition on his face.

The girl walks off towards the kitchen but stops when she hears her mom talking sharply. Why did she sound so mad at the stranger?

"Yes!" Maureen asks, looking at the unfamiliar young man; he sighs a bit hesitantly before he asks his question.

"Are you Rina Reynolds" Maureen looks shocked to hear the name from her past and takes a deep breath.

"I'm sorry, but I don't know who you're talking about" she tries to shut the door, but a hand shoots out and stops it.

"Please. I need to know. Are you Rina Reynolds?" the boy looks desperate. Maureen takes another deep breath, she looks around her, and the little girl dives behind the wall.

"Yes, at one time, I was Rina Reynolds," the boy laughs with relief, and Maureen looks at him suspiciously "who are you?" she asks sharply, hand on her hips.

The boy smiles and looks at a picture in his hands. "my name is Roman, and I'm your son," he tells her, smiling. The woman's face turns pale, and she doesn't say a thing.

"Mom?" Roman asks quietly. "I know it's a shock, but I'm sure in time we can get to know each other, I know I wasn't planned, and I know how I was conceived" the woman starts shaking her head as silent tears run down her face.

"I am not Rina Reynolds anymore. I am Maureen Prescott. I have moved on now, I have two beautiful daughters and put all of that behind me and what they did to me was in the past, and you, you are Rina's child, and Rina is dead" Maureen slammed the door shut and stood there while her only son banged on it.

The little girl who had heard everything was so shocked she could hardly move but being 10, she didn't understand most of the conversation, though she knew she had a brother she was never told of, and that made the rebellious 10-year-old angry.

She had to find out more.

The banging had stopped, and so had the screaming, but it was still enough to attract a curious Sidney. Katherine quickly stands beside her twin, so it looked like they were together the whole time.

"Mom? What's going on?" Maureen turned to look at her two daughters, her twin girls.

"nothing, girls, let's go back to baking for your father" Maureen tried to usher her daughters back into the kitchen.

"I'm not feeling too good. I think I'm going to lie down," The younger Prescott said. Maureen and Sidney continued into the kitchen without really listening to the youngest.

Katherine took this as her chance to quietly creep out of the front door; she saw the man had already reached the end of the driveway and was walking towards a beat-up white car.

Katherine ran down to the man shouting, "Hey!" The man turned around a little red-faced like he had been crying. Katherine had reached him and was huffing and puffing from loss of breath.

"Is it true?" she asked the man, tears starting to prick at her eyes. "Are you my brother?" she asked quietly. The man just looked at her, trying to figure out what to say, but he just nodded.