[28]

Dewey and Gale walk along the road with the flashlight shining in front of them

Dewey and Gale walk along the road with the flashlight shining in front of them. "So, is Dewey your real name?" Gale inquired, breaking the silence that had fallen between them.

The Deputy laughed meekly, seemingly embarrassed by the question. "No. It's Dwight," he told the brunette next to him, who instantly turned to him with a grin.

"Dwight?" she giggled before sobering up at his red face. "I'm sorry" her apology fell short when another small laugh escaped her, but Dewey didn't seem offended by her mirth. In fact, he appeared endeared by it.

Dewey smiled at her; she had a beautiful laugh, "No, it's alright. It's just something I got stuck with a long time ago."

Gale gave Dewey a devious smile. "Well, I like it. It's sexy."

Dewey's eye widened in shock, "Sexy?".

Gale nodded shyly, feeling like a school girl again. "Mhmm" The younger man felt better, knowing that Gale liked something about him.

"It's just this town's way of not taking me seriously," he sighed, feeling down; even his kid sister thought he was a joke.

Gale laughed but not a pleasant gesture. It was a laugh full of spite. "What about Gale Weathers? It sounds like I'm a meteorologist or something," The journalist admitted knowing more that few people had used her name as a joke.

"People treat me like I'm the anti-Christ of television journalism. Hell, I know Kat and Sidney think I am" Gale shook her head as she spoke truthfully. All she ever wanted to do was her job, and if she had to look like some evil witch to get what she wants, she'd do it.

Dewey frowned and instantly tried to comfort the beautiful woman. "I don't think you're that bad. Sidney is still upset over her mother's death, and Kat has just been so full of anger ever since she was a kid".

Gale looked at Dewey; she was hanging on his every word. "Really? You just think that because you're just like me" The two smiled at each other coyly as they moved closer until two speeding cars come up from behind them.

"They are sure coming fast," Dewey comments, watching the speeding vehicles. "SLOW DOWN!" He calls out, but the cars still barrel towards them. "FREEZE!" He tries once again but soon realized the car wasn't going to stop. He turned to Gale in terror. "JUMP!".

Dewey grabs Gale when the car gets dangerously close to hitting them and forces them both down the bank. They roll down the hill until they stop at the end, with Dewey lying on Gale. "I'm sorry, are you okay?".

Gale nods breathlessly, watching the young Deputy above her. "Yeah." she sighs dreamily as her hands grip his back.

Dewey removes Gales headband, which had partially fallen, as Gale lifts her head up and kisses Dewey, who reciprocates before stopping. "I'm sorry I'm on duty," he told her regretfully.