[5]

Getting up, I started to walk away, trying to keep the tears in

Getting up, I started to walk away, trying to keep the tears in. I felt an arm curl into mine and turn to see my sister as Stu started shouting he was sorry, but I really couldn't care less at this moment.

The damage was done.

Sidney quietly walked with me to Math. "You going to be okay?" she questioned as I looked at her, but I felt a bit distant, like I was waiting to wake up from this nightmare.

I nodded slowly, my eyes peeking into the empty classroom through the glass window on the door. The desk Casey and I sat at caught my eye, the same table where we first met in freshmen year.

Hearing a hurried breath behind me, I turned to see Stu watching at me sadly. Sidney looked at me concerned and rubbed my arm before walking off, giving Stu the stink eye on the way past.

"Kat," he murmured, grabbing my arm, and as soon as he did, it felt like a comfort blanket where I felt safe. "I can't say I'm sorry for what I said, but I am sorry for hurting your feelings."

I looked up at him with a wide grin. "You know girls have feelings that's a new one" somehow, in our talking, I had leaned against the wall, and Stu had his arm bent above my head but his body leaning towards me.

We stood like that for a few minutes before Stu rubbed my face gently. "Listen, Kat, we need to talk.." I jumped when the door was slammed open by Mr. Molina.

"Oh Miss Prescott, Mr. Macher, I didn't see you two there," The teacher said before walking back inside the classroom. I glanced at Stu, who was still staring down at me.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked him as he looked like he was struggling with his words. That in itself was unusual.

"Ever since we met.." Stu was once again cut off by the bell ringing. I giggled at his defeated face as students began running through the halls, trying to get to their classes.

Stu's face dulled like he remembered something, "Are you working tonight?" I bobbed my head, "oh good," he breathed a relieved sigh until he saw my confused face and started stumbling over his words.

"Well, not good because who wants to work, but it's good that you do want to work and.." he shrugged, seemingly giving up and walking off to class, leaving me smiling.

Turning, I followed other students into class and stopped at my table and stared. I could hear people whispering, but I didn't care as I slowly sat down and remembered the last time we sat here together, which was yesterday morning before she was...murdered.

"So, are you sure you don't wanna come over?" Casey asked as I smiled into the phone and shook my head, laughing.

 "Oh yeah and if Steve comes over? I don't want to watch you two playing tonsil hockey all night!" I grinned, knowing that's exactly what would happen.

Casey gasped in innocence but eventually agreed with me. "So what are you watching?" I asked, playing with the red varnish on my nails.

"I'm thinking Psycho tonight," she told me but seemed unhappy with this; Casey and I are real horror nerds.