Chapter 28

During a movie, you can press pause, rewind, fast forward and play. You can turn up the volume or mute it all together. You can stop the movie all together if you'd like or you can stop and start it up again later.

If life had a pause button, she would press pause so fast that the world around her would shake. Everything was happening so fast. Too fast. It seemed like only yesterday, her entire world went from sunset walks in a nearby park to desperate searches for water sources.

She was dying.

Not physically, but mentally. A young girl's mind and soul can only take so much before the skull cracks and she bleeds out.

How could she forget?

Newt was infected. Newt is a crank. Josephine was infected. Josephine is a crank. Stevenson was infected. Stevenson was a crank. Stevenson is dead.

Death. The word tasted bitter on her tongue as she tried to stop her shaking.

"Stevenson is dead." She told herself.

"Damn right he is." Newt sneered causing her to flinch. "He's better off dead, too bad you didn't join him."

"You know what he said to me?" She asked him.

"Do share." He rolled his eyes.

Jett pressed her hand to her waist, bringing out the small hand knife locked away. "That emotion is a weakness."

Newt's eyes widened. "You gonna plunge that into my skull?"

Jett bit her lip. "Newt, it's the infection talking."

Newt ignored her. "Do it, my friend Tommy just about klunked his pants when I asked him to kill me."

"I'm not going to kill you." She whispered, so scared that her heart wasn't even beating anymore. "I'm scared you are going to kill me."

And at that, his eyes went soft. His mouth dropped open in agape and he stammered to his knees. "Jett-"

"Don't." She dropped his gaze. "Just don't mention it."

"I'm so sorry." He whispered.

"Don't." She sneered. "I said don't."

The distance between them seemed like infinity. Radar and Josephine seemed like a light year away. The tension was so thick that not even the deathly sun could melt it.

"Jett." Radar spoke up. "Josephine is conscious."

Jett and Newt turned there heads towards her and both of them smiled.

"What-what happened?"

"Stevenson turned." Newt said bitterly. "He lost control of the car and we crashed."

"And everything was going so well." Josephine tried to sit up but was met with a whiplash of pain.

"What do we do now?" Radar questioned.

Jett moved toward the smoking car and got out all of the supplies. She took out her knife and dug it into the seat of the car, toying with it until nothing was left. She took one of the many blankets and hung it up against the car door, making it act like a wall.

"I'll take first watch." She muttered.

"You don't have to." Newt sighed. "I can."

"I said I'll take the first watch." She spat.

Newt nodded, his heart breaking.