Part 19

Maria’s POV:

   We all sat quietly on my old sofa, Ray looked pretty out of place. My mom was still younger than most moms and she made absolutely no attempt at conversation.

Ray’s mobile rang and he stood up, “Sorry.” He said and I gave him a short smile before he answered and left the living room.

   “Do you like him mom?” I asked and turned to her, she had the same big green eyes as me but her hair was much darker.

     “He’s nice Maria… But he could do with a haircut.” She mumbled and I wanted to give her a dirty look, she wasn’t even trying-

    “Maria, Leda wants to talk.” Ray said and handed me his mobile, I nodded and put it up to my ear.

  “Hey cousin! I have a favour I need to ask.” Leda said quickly and I sighed before standing, feeling bad while I left Ray in the room with my mom.

   “What do you need?” I asked.

   “Well, it’s from everyone really…” Leda took a short breath, “Mikey asked Frank to ask Gerard to ask me to ask you if you could talk to Poppy for us and see why she’s been acting odd.”

I paused and leant against the wall, “Why? What’s she been doing?”

   “Uh, she had her first day of school and then she started acting weird and that was three days ago and we all know that Wren knows what’s up but she won’t spill ‘cuz you know those two are like sisters.” Leda said quickly.

    “Maybe it’s because of the new school?” I muttered.

    “Maybe… Can you just see if you can find out please? Mikey’s been really worried.” Leda said in a pleading voice and I sighed.

     “Put Popsicle on the phone.”

I loved Poppy like a sister but I knew that if she wasn’t telling Mikey what was wrong then she wasn’t telling anyone. That was how she worked.

    “Hello?” Poppy answered.

    “Hey Popsicle. How’re things going over your side of America?” I wondered, she was in New Jersey and I was currently in California.

     “Uh, things are alright… Listen, did the guys get you to see what was wrong with me?” She questioned.

    “Sort of… So what’s up?” I asked and Poppy sighed.

     “Nothing that anyone needs to worry about.” She muttered.

   I pursed my lips, “Listen Poppy, you’re my sister and if you’re down it worries me. You don’t have to tell me what is wrong but try to fix what it is, tell Mikey or someone as well as Wren so not as many people are worried about you.” I sounded motherly…

    There was a moment of silence, “Okay… Thanks for thinking about me, but don’t worry. I’m fine… I’ll put Leda back on…” Poppy mumbled and I shrugged to myself. Poppy was smart enough without any of my knowledge, if she was still acting odd when I got back in two days then I would start acting.

Gerard’s POV:

   “I think Ray likes California… But I don’t know what he thins about Maria’s mom…” I mumbled and Leda nodded and rested her head on my chest.

    “Maria’s mom can be really hard… She and Maria are a little estranged.” She sighed and looked up, “We are just like worried parents…” She laughed and I smiled. She was right, since Poppy had come along I felt responsible for her and then Leda and Maria were around all the time… We really were just one big misfit family with the guys and our girls.