Chapter 9 - Don't Say His Name! I Can't Take It!

The Konoha group had been gathered at the woman, Mairu's house for some time now. Maybe a little bit shy of a day, and at the moment Ibiki, Shin, and Akito were gathering the plants while Akai talked to her old friend.

"How have you been feeling lately, Little Red?" Mairu asked suddenly as the two girls were sticking random items throughout the store, making sure that everything was where it was suppose to be with proper tags.

"Fine." Akai replied, but Mairu just continued to stare at the girl, completely stopping what she was doing. Akai glanced over at the woman and raised her eyebrows at her and threw her arms up in the air. "What, tashikani?!" She screamed playfully at her.

"Akai, you know what I'm talking about. How are you feeling lately." The woman repeated with a stern tone of voice. Akai rolled her eyes slightly and gave a soft sigh.

"It's not as bad, tashikani. I haven't been as sick lately, so maybe that's a good sign?" She said, but it came out more as a question than a statement.

"I'll go get your medicine." Mairu said as she grabbed the girls hand and pulled her back with her to a small back room. Akai fought and struggled the entire way back.

"Let me go, tashikani!" She screamed, before Mairu popped her on the house. Akai screamed loudly in pain before she started swatting towards Mairu. "Ow!" She shouted loudly and Mairu just rolled her eyes.

"You're just like your mother, Akai." She said with a gentle laugh. Akai gave her a small look before nodding and glancing off in the distance for a moment.

Mairu seemed to notice this change in Akai, and she gently grabbed the girl and hugged her close. "She would have been so proud of you, Akai." She said with a smile.

Akai scoffed. "Yeah, right, tashikani... No parents would be proud of a rude, clumsy, weak, useless daughter who stole things for fun."

Mairu frowned. She crouched down in front of Akai, their eyes on the same level. "Don't say that, Akai. You may be a criminal, but inside here," she said, before pointing at her chest, "you're a good person. Look at you. You managed to survive with only your cousins, taking care of them, and when they're gone, you didn't give up."

"And remember that you were only 9 years old when you earned that title. You managed to fulfill his wish."

"Mairu-san..."

"Listen, Akai. Even if you're not proud of yourself, I still am."

Akai fell silent. She continued her work, but froze when she saw the flower vase in front of her, with some purple hyacinth, a red rose, and some sweetpea in it.

Mairu noticed this, and smiled. "Take them, Akai. I think they deserves your visit."

"But, Mairu-san, they're your-..."

"My guts told me you're coming, that's why I bought those. Go, Akai. It's alright."

"... Thanks." Akai finally said, before she gently pulled out the flowers and tied a thin blue ribbon around them, before she made her way out of the house.

| * | * | * | * | * |

Akai slowly kneeled, and put down the flowers in front of the 2 gravestones.

"Mom... Dad... It has been a long time, right? Sorry I didn't visit last year, I was in Suna. You're right, Dad. The weather there is horrible." She muttered the last part, chuckling bitterly more at herself, "I finally understand why you guys never took me there now." She finished, and she began to fiddle with the headband around her neck.