Chapter 15 - Exam: Duel

When Akai finally woke up, she found herself already wrapped neatly in bandages, with Akito sleeping on the chair next to her, his head leaning on the bed she was laying on.

She pushed herself to sit up, and lifted her right hand. Her wrist doesn't hurt as much, but she still couldn't move it. A week or two, she predicted, until it's back to normal.

"... Akai?"

She turned, and smiled at Akito. "Hey." She whispered, her voice still hoarse.

His eyes widened, and he abruptly stood up. "You're awake!"

She gave him a small grin. "How long I was out? And the next round...?"

"Well... You have been unconscious for about two days, so... the next round of the exam will be held the day after tomorrow."

"Eh? Right after the last day at the forest? Won't we be given a break, tashikani?"

"The proctors predicted that there will be too many participants, so they would have to held a preliminary test."

Akai sighed, "Where is Shin?"

"Waiting for Sakura. I'll get him." Akito said, before he stood up and left the room.

A few seconds after he left, Ibiki walked in.

"How are you feeling?" The jōnin asked her, watching her every reaction. Akai gave him a reassuring smile, chuckling a bit.

"I'm alright, tashikani. Are you worried, Scarface?"

The said man scoffed. "I know you like it." He snapped, and this retort surprised Akai, "Can you tell me how could the Curse Mark disappear?"

Her eyes widened. "It did?!"

The man gave her a nod. "It just went all over your body, glowing and faded away. You were screaming."

"... I don't know..." She muttered, "But is it really gone?"

"Yeah. Be grateful. Even Anko couldn't explain what's happening."

Akai gave him a questioning look, and he scoffed. "Anko has had the Curse Mark for years already. You get it?" She nodded at this, "Then how about you answer my other question instead?" He asked.

"What's with the whole coughing up blood thing? You've been doing it often."

Her eyes widened. "I-It's nothing, tashikani!" She exclaimed, grinning.

Ibiki growled. "Don't give me that, brat. I am an interrogator. You can't lie to me."

Her looks changed, from happy into a serious one. She looked down, and began to play with the bandages around her fingers.

"I'm just overusing my chakra..."

"I'm sure it's more than that, Akai. Just tell me so I can help you."

Akai glared at him, clenching her fists. "You don't have to worry about it. I'm fine."

He huffed, and shoved his hands into his pockets.

"I hate to say this, Akai. I really do." He said, as he approached the door. He stopped, and grabbed the handle, looking down.

"But your selflessness will be the death of you."

| * | * | * | * | * |

"Did she say anything?" Kakashi asked, looking at his fellow jōnin in curiosity.

"No. She's as secretive as a human can be." Ibiki replied, "Any guess on what she's hiding?"

"From the looks of it, it might be poison. Not a wound, obviously."