29 | Can't Love

29 | Can't Love

Calum | POV

"If you know what's good for her, push her away." Father says.

I went to see him in his house right after I lay Mia on the bed when she fell asleep on the beach.

"I don't even know why I'm telling you this." I said, my elbows resting on my knees.

Back at the beach, I closed my eyes and listened to her. She thought I fell asleep but really, I just wanted to her hear talk endlessly.

When Blue had her, when I saw her cry desperately..and the anger I felt when Blue laid a finger on her and kissed her..I knew back then that what I have for her was more than just infatuation, I was falling in love.

At the beach, she said that if she had feelings for me, if she did, my father wouldn't be against us..because she reminded him of my mother.

"You told Mia she reminded you of someone." I looked at him. He had a glass of wine between his fingers.

He looks down at the wine he was holding. "Yes." He says. "Your mother."

My jaw clenched.

"But you killed her." I said through gritted teeth. Although Mali told me that the people ordered to kill her didn't, that they were members of an elite group my mother started.

He shakes his head and let out a short laugh. "That's what I wanted you to believe. That's what I wanted myself to believe." He says, sorrow evident in his eyes.

"What?" I asked dumbfounded.

He takes a sip of the wine before putting on down on the table. "I never really told you how your mother and I met, have I?" He says, a smile of reminiscence in his face.

My arms relaxed as I lean back on the couch.

"I was being beaten up, back then, there were only a few members of INFAMOUS. One by one, we were getting killed. That night, I was on the run..but the enemy, they caught up to me, threw punches, kicks, hit me with steel bars.." He says.

"Then I heard a voice. A girl. She screamed for them to stop.. I tried my best to open my eyes to see what was happening." He smiles and sighs.

"A homeless girl, risking her life to defend someone like me, someone she hasn't even met." His voice cracks as he frowns.

"She was afraid, I could tell. The men surrounded her, tried to take advantage of her..and I couldn't let that happen." He says. "With all the energy I had left, I fought. I fought them..and killed them. In front of her."

"I started this little village a year after our marriage. I wanted to take in people who had nothing, and give them everything. Just like how your mother had all that courage to do everything to stop the men from killing me." He tells me.

"Your mother was an amazing woman, beautiful in and out. She had compassion for the people..so I wanted to surprise her about this village..and soon we can all move here and live in peace, like a perfect family." He paused.

"But of course.. in order to give everything to this place, we needed to kill more people, steal some money, make money, lose lives..she didn't want that. She thought I was doing all these things because I enjoyed them." He takes the wine and drinks it all in.

"She told me i've changed, that I have become a monster." He runs his hand through his hair.

My muscle tenses. "So you ordered someone to kill her."