33 | The Price You Pay

follow marshtheauthor on twitter if you want to be friends :) it's the quickest way to talk to me.

i'd appreciate it if you turn on notifications to be updated with my progress and stories!

this chapter is dedicated to The_London_Sky :') your spammed comments make me laugh so hard, thank you for being so active and patient, I LOVE YOU.

--

33 | The Price You Pay

Calum | POV

I listen to her soft breathing as she sleeps. I look out the window as sun slowly sets. My arm was draped around Mia's upper body that leaned onto my chest. She keeps her hands to herself as she lets out a shaky breath.

She was cold. With my free hand, I held hers and kissed her forehead. I smiled to myself. It may have took long for the both of us to realize what we truly felt for each other, but we finally came around. I still hate myself for purposely hurting her, thinking that it would protect her from everything.

I'll never hurt you again.

Before I could close my eyes, I heard footsteps. I looked to my left and standing there was Blue.

"For Mia." He says quietly, handing over a blanket while his other hand was shoved in his pocket. I eyed him. He rolls his eyes.

"Are you that jealous? Jesus, if you don't take it, i'll put in on her myself." He says, without hesitation, I take the blanket.

Back in my house when Blue came to see me, he told me everything, about his father, his condition, about him and Sophia, and he saved the worst part for last—that he originally planned on marrying Mia. Everything basically went berserk the moment he said that. I was on rampage.

Okay, maybe I was a little bit jealous.

When I finished draping it over Mia, he talks again. "I need a word with you." He nods towards the back and walk away.

Gently, I lie Mia on the sofa and made sure she was comfortable. I walked to where Blue was and sat across him.

I didn't speak, but I eyed him intently. He takes this as a signal to begin talking.

"Something doesn't feel right." He starts. "If my father wanted to kill the president, he would have. I know my father, he never misses. He goes for the kill and he goes in clean." He says.

My eyes narrowed. "Are you saying this is a set up?"

He rests his elbows on his knees. "I'm not sure, but this ambush might be a bait. He knew that once he threatens her family—"

"—she'll come out of hiding." I finished his sentence. He nods.

I let my mind process. Their target was never James, it was always Mia.

"There must be something else into the ambush aside from being the bait." He says and I thought hard.

Ashton and Mali agreed that the US Elite Forces couldn't be involved, since the threat isn't for the president, but for his daughter. Now that the president is directly involved, the US Elite Forces are bound to protect him and his family at all costs.

Protocol will be run in all members of the family, friends, and peers. Protocol includes background checks..

My eyes widened.

"He's going trying to get rid of us." I tell Blue. His attention was fully on me.

"The Elites will surely do background checks, any suspicions will be eliminated. Surely, that's us. With us out of the way, your father can easily get to Mia." I told him.