Chapter 24

“Lydia, we were married, and um since he’s deceased I have to take care of her or else she’ll go to foster care, and I don’t want her to go to foster care Lydia, that’s no place for a child to be. Lydia I was an orphan, and it was terrible. And I know how it feels to ya know be unwanted, and not know why your parents don’t love you or do they love you. It’s a lot, and I hate for anyone to go through with it. I really do.. but” my mom said breaking down in a fit of tears.

“Aw mom, I’m sorry. It’s ok” I said wrapping my arm around her. Then Landon noticed my mom was crying, and I guess it made him upset. He started to cry too. I guess he doesn’t like anyone especially his grandma to be sad. 

“Shh, it’s ok baby, Grandma’s ok, calm down” I said bouncing him on my knee. 

“I’m sorry I just, I get really teary when it comes to this. Oh my God, I’ve upset him. I’m sorry” my mom said tearfully. 

“Mom it’s ok, just calm down. Can everybody just calm down. We’re ok really” I said. My mom cried a little bit, then gathered herself. Landon however was very much upset. He started crying really loud, and he cried so he was red in the face. 

“Oh no shh, hush now, you’re ok” I said patting his back. 

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to upset him” my mom said. 

“It’s ok, look hold him for me mom, I gotta get him a bottle” I said handing her Landon. My mom got him, and I went to the kitchen, and got his bottle. I let my mom feed him, and he eventually chilled. 

“So like when do you get her” I asked. 

“Monday morning. Her mom isn’t dead yet, but the courts think it’s best if she comes lives with me, and ya know get the feel of where she’ll be staying and things” my mom said. 

“What’s her name” I asked. 

“Emmy” my mom said. 

“Wow mom that’s a lot to take on” I said. 

“I know, but it has to be done” my mom said. 

“I’m so sorry mom” I said. 

“It’s ok, it’s going to be ok. It just has to Lydia” my mom said. She sat Landon up, so she could burp him.  She began to pat him on his back. She really had to raise the child, that was a product of her husband’s love affair. Dear God, that takes some kind of control, love, and dedication. That’s a messed up situation to be in. 

But I’m sure my mom  would do a great job with Emmy. I knew she wouldn’t she mistreat the girl because of what my dad did to her. She was a strong, forgiving, loving, caring woman. She was never the one to seek revenge no matter how wrong somebody did her.  Landon fell asleep in my mom’s arms after his burp. She laid him down in his playpen. 

“Well Lydia, I better get going. It’s getting pretty late, and I have an early start tomorrow” my mom said. 

“Yeah ok. You gonna be ok tonight” I asked. 

“Yeah I’ll be fine dear” my mom said. 

“You sure, you could sleep here tonight if you like” I said. 

“Thank you so much, but no baby I’d rather go home. I love you Lydia” my mom said. 

“I love you too mom” I said as she hugged me. I hugged her back, and she held tight. 

“We’re gonna be ok right?” my mom said in need of some assurance. 

“We’re gonna be just fine” I said. She gave me a kiss on the cheek, smiled at me, and then left. I shut my front door, and just laid down on the floor. I don’t know why, but I just did. It was so much going on. Wow, my mom’s gonna be raising her husband’s lovechild. That’s was a lot to take in. Poor mom, I really do hope she’s  gonna be ok.  Man that was a lot to take in. I went and sat on the couch, and began to try and find something to watch something one television.