Chapter 26

I pulled in my mom’s driveway, and parked.  I was meeting Emmy today, and also having dinner also. I picked up the pink plush elephant that sat in the driver’s seat.  My mom told me Emmy’s favorite animal was the elephant, and  I was just trying to score cool points because I wasn’t all that good with kids anyway. I got out the car,  and walked to the front door. I knocked, and my mom answered. 

“Hey baby” my mom said. 

“Hey” I said giving her a hug. 

“Glad you could make it, we’re out back on the patio, come on in” my mom said. I walked in the house, and Landon was in his swing. She grinned when he saw me. 

“Hey baby, did you miss me? I missed you” I said picking him up, and giving him a kiss on the  cheek. 

“He was an angel Lydia” my mom said as he walked to the backyard. 

“You were good for grandma, what a big boy” I said to Landon. 

We stepped out on the back patio. 

“Emmy, dear, come here” my mom called. I looked around, and saw a cute little dark brown haired girl pop up out the bushes. 

“She likes catching earth worms, that’s why she was digging in the bushes over there” my mom said. 

“Yes Meryl” she said. I looked at her, she was cute. She had dark brown brunette hair, that was long and in two ponytails that bounced when she walk or ran. She had slightly tan skinned, with big crystal clear blue eyes. She was really cute in  a dark blue spaghetti strap sundress. 

“You remember me telling about my older daughter Lydia” my mom said. 

“Yeah Lydia” Emmy smiled. 

“Well this is Lydia, my oldest daughter” my mom said. Emmy looked up at me, and smiled. 

“Hi, I’m Emmy” Emmy said. 

“Very nice to meet you Emmy” I said. 

“Is that an elephant” Emmy asked her eyes widening. I had the pink elephant tucked under my arm. 

“Yes it most certainly is, and also for you” I said handing it to her. He eyes got real big, and excited. 

“Aw really! Thank you! Oh Lydia” Emmy said hugging me tight.  Emmy was a sweet child sure enough. My mom had grilled some salmon, made a fresh green salad, and sweet bread rolls. It was all really good. I got to know Emmy some. She was smart, and very talkative.  She also really liked being outside, and playing in dirt, and catching all types of bugs, and small creatures. She was  like no seven year old I ever met. She also liked elephants, and frogs.  After dinner, we had dessert. For dessert we had cheesecake with strawberries, it was delicious. 

I was so full afterwards I could barely stand. 

“Lydia, you wanna see  the flowers Meryl and me planted yesterday” Emmy asked. 

“Sure” I said. I stood up, and followed her. 

“See Lydia, they’re African violets” Emmy said pointing to the pretty purple flowers. 

“Aw they’re so pretty” I said. 

“Meryl says they’ll get a little bit bigger, but we have to keep them watered. I like watering the garden Lydia” Emmy said. 

“You do” I said. 

“Yeah because when you let the water run, for a little while, earth worms come up, and frogs start coming out” Emmy said.