Chapter 4

Loud banging woke me up and I froze. Was someone trying to break in the house? Throwing on a hoodie and sweats, I raced down the steps. My body protested with spurts of pain but I ignored it. There was loud banging on my door and constant doorbell ringing. If a burglar wanted to get in my house, he wouldn't ring the doorbell right? Gingerly, I opened the door just a slit with the chain still linked.

"Yes?" I asked, pulling up short when I saw who it was. Beck. Beck Waters was at my door.

"Sarah. Hi. Let me in."

"Um. Hi? I don't know.. What, uh, what are you doing here?" I stammered, making sure to keep the hurt side of my face away from him.

"I have your homework?" He held up some books.

"Oh." I didn't move.

"Can I come in?"

"Uh." Thinking of no reason to say no and the fact that I did need my homework caused me to say "Sure." I closed the door quickly and unlocked the chain. I pulled down my hair to cover the less then beautiful side of my face and opened the door. He stepped inside slowly, holding out the books.

"Thanks. How did you get my books out of my locker?" He flashed a smile at me.

"I have my ways."

"Why did you bring my homework and not Emily?"

"I told her I could do it since you live on the way to my house."

"Oh. Well, that explains how you got into my locker." I wiggled my eyebrows. "Emily told you the code." He held his hands up in a shrug.

"Guilty as charged." I laughed but narrowed my eyes at him.

"How did you know where I lived?"

"Don't tell me you don't remember that time my mom dragged me over here for a 'family-friend dinner'?" I shook my head. "Really? You don't remember that we got in a fight when I took the remote from you?"

"Hey! That was rude."

"You wanted to watch Hannah Montana! No way was that happening!" I swatted at him and I remembered the moment. The truth was, I remembered a lot about Beck. He was one of my biggest playmates back when we were kids.

"You, sir, have a remarkable memory."

"The best of the best." He winked. "And someone sure seems sick." He motioned to me with a laugh.

"Maybe I just needed a day off."

"Don't we all." He smiled and nodded.

"Well, thanks for my homework, Beck."

"No problem, Cade."

"The name's Sarah."

"I know." He said with a smile. My tummy flipped. Stupid. I shook my head.

"Sarah?" I looked up at his sudden panicked voice. His eyes scanned my face as he came closer to me. He brushed back a piece of my hair. And then the other side. No! I froze as his eyes took in my face.

"Cade, what happened to your face?" His voice was tense. I shrugged as if it was nothing.

"I fell off the couch and hit it on the coffee table." He looked at me skeptically and gently touched it. Even though it hurt, his warm touch sent shivers down my back and into my stomach.

"Does it hurt?" I shrugged again and looked away from the heat in his eyes.

"Nah. I'm so clumsy, I'm used to getting hurt." I laughed and he joined in, but the laugh didn't meet his eyes.