Chapter 10

"No way. You are kidding me."

"Stop complaining." Beck said with a sigh as he grabbed my suitcases from me and threw them on the bed.

THE bed. As in singular. As in uno cama.

"Beck! It only has one bed! And it's not even a King size. It's a double!"

"So?"

"SO? We are NOT sharing a bed. A king bed, maybe because there's so much space, but a double? Nuh uh. Not happening."

"It's fine, Sarah. I'll just sleep on the couch."

"There isn't a couch, Beck! You heard the check in lady. It's a COUPLES room. That's why she thought we were married! Your mom booked us a room for couples!"

"Sarah." Beck rubbed his hand over his face and then linked his hands behind his head. "You are killing me. I will sleep on the floor. Just please, shut up!"

"Fine!" I snapped at him and unzipped my suitcase. "I'm going to change in the bathroom so don't come in!"

"Whatever." I heard him say under his breath. I grabbed my pj's and tooth brush and stomped into the bathroom, grumbling.

"Who does he think he is? Superman?" I started talking to myself in the mirror as I brushed my teeth. "He's not all that great, Sarah. He's annoying. And whiny. And a pain in my ass.. ah, butt. And a pain in my butt." I scolded myself. A few years ago I went through this whole habit change thing in my youth group and the habit I chose to stop was cussing. It was working great. After I spit, I came out into the room to find Beck wearing sweatpants. And shirtless. I almost dropped all my clothes from my hands- and that was only his back. He was facing away from me, turning down my bed. I composed myself and walked over to him.

"You didn't have to do that." I said stopping his hand. What was it about this boy that made all my walls fly away like birds?

"It's fine, Sarah." I had to look away from his eyes because they sent butterflies to my stomach. If I could punch myself, I would.

"No it's not fine. I'm sorry I've been so whiny." He waved his hand.

"Nah. You're a girl. I'm used to it."

I let that one slide with a slide glance at him. Then I noticed his sly smile.

"You jerk!" I pounced on him. "You're just trying to get a rouse out of me!" We fell onto the bed as I took turns punching him. "That'll teach you to insult me!" I laughed. I saw his hand coming fast out of the corner of my eye and I slid to the ground in a panic. Quickly I scrambled away from him and to the other side of the room. I pressed myself up against the wall. I couldn't breathe. He was going to hit me. Phillip was going to hit me. I shook my head. That wasn't Phillip. It was Beck. Slowly he approached me with his hands up.

"Sarah. It's me. It's Beck. It's not Phillip. He can't hurt you. He's not here. It's just you and me. Franny and Gertie." I felt tears prick my eyes but blinked them back. His arms slowly wrapped around me and after a few seconds I relaxed into them. He stroked my hair. "Shh, Sarah. It's okay you're okay." He slowly started pulling us backwards to the bed. With one swift movement, he picked me up in his arms and laid me on the bed. But my arms wouldn't unlock from around his neck.

What are you doing? Stop it, Sarah!

He gently pulled them off of him.

"You can sleep in the bed, Beck." I said as I rolled over onto my side facing away from him. "Just stay on your side."

"Yes ma'am." I heard him say. I felt him slide in next to me and then he clicked off the lamp. Leaving us in pitch black except for the light streaming in through the crack of the blinds from the moon.