Chapter 7

My phone rang and I grabbed it off my nightstand, clueless to who it could be.

PHILLIP

My heart sank and suddenly the overwhelming feeling to puke hit me. I really wanted to just hit ignore, but if I didn't answer it he would get pissed. Quickly I hit the answer button.

"Hello!" I tried to put enthusiasm into my voice.

"Hi. Why aren't you answering any of my texts?

"I-I haven't gotten any t-t-texted." I winced at my stutter.

"You're lying."

"No! No I'm not!"

"Yes you are, Sarah! You are lying to me!" He bellowed into my phone so loud that I had to pull it away from my ear in pain.

"Phillip. Phillip! I'm sorry. I didn't get any text messages. And I- uh, my mom said I couldn't go to the beach with you."

"Whatever, Sarah. You just want to stay here when I leave so you can screw around."

"No Phi-"

"Slut." I heard the line disconnect and I let my hand fall lifeless into my lap.

I'm not a slut. How can he say things like that?

Tears blurred my eyes and I put a hand over them. His words cut deep. Never ever had I cheated on him, when I know he's cheated on me before. I've never slept with anyone, him or someone else. But Phillip? He's cheated on me several times. Normally if a person cheats on you, you leave them, right? So what's wrong with me? I glanced at my phone again.

FROM:PHILLIP

Babe. Babe, I am so sorry. You know I didn't mean any of that. I love you. I love you so much and I know you haven't cheated on me. You're not a slut.

I threw my phone back on my bed.

Of course he's sorry. He always is.

Shaking my head, I got up off my bed and I walked down to the living room. I just wanted to run away from it all. From him. So much of me wishes I can just leave him behind me. I just want things to go back to before Phillip. Tears threatened to fall again but I refused to let them. I'm going to try and never let anymore tears fall for him anymore. He doesn't deserve them. I sighed as I plopped down onto the couch and turned on the tv. It's my spring break of my Junior year, I shouldn't be sitting at home, alone, wallowing in self pity and bruises. I want to go out, but that requires lying to Phillip. It also means covering my bruises and risking more if Phillip finds out. I let my head roll to the side.

This sucks.

The doorbell rang and I jumped up to get it. Quickly I stumbled backwards when Phillip came baralling in.

"Why didn't you answer my apology?" He bellowed at me as he slammed the door and took my neck in one hand, all in one swoop.

"I-I. I didn-" His hand squeezed tighter around my neck and black pressed at the edges of my vision. "You slut. You whore." Every insult came with a blow to either my face or my side. I felt all the air leave my lungs and I desperatly tried to breathe but his hand squeezing my neck kept me from doing so.

"Please." I gasped as the world went black.

I bolted upright, gasping. Looking around, I realized I was still on the couch, with the TV on, and the only thing different was that I was covered in a sheen coating of cold sweat.

"It was just a dream. Just a dream." I murmered, putting a hand around my neck. I could still feel his hand squeezing and pushing, cutting off my air supply. The doorbell rang and I whipped around to stare at it. Gingerly, I walked towards it and glanced into the peephole. It wasn't Phillip. It was Beck. I opened the door.

"Ya know, I'm starting to think I have a stalker."

"Pff. If only you could be so lucky." I rolled my eyes at him.

"What do you want, Beck?"

"Mom is going back to California, to the beach for spring break and I'm going with her. Michelle is going and so mom wanted me to invite you to the beach with us too."

"What about my dad?"

"Don't you think he'd love a week without any girls?"

"True."

"So do you want to go?"

"I do. But I don't know if I should because of.." I trailed off.

"Because of Phillip?"

"Yeah." I bit my lip.

"Well, you're going. And if he has something to say, he can say it to me instead of you."

"No. Beck. You don't understand. He's dangerous." Beck stepped closer to me until I had to tilt my head backwards to be able to look up at him.

"I'm not afraid of him." He pushed a piece of hair behind my ear and leaned down to whisper into it. "I'm dangerous too." He moved towards my face and lips almost touched mine. My eyes widened and he pulled back. "We're leaving in two days. See you then." He closed the door and my head spun. What just happened?

~

"Mom? So what's this about us going to the beach with Melinda and Beck?" I took a bite of salad.

"We're going to California to the beach with them."

"But how come you didn't tell me?"

"Melinda wanted Beck to ask you instead."

"Um. Why?" Mom sighed and put her fork down.

"Because, Sarah, you need to start helping Beck with this transition and it's better that he ask you to the beach because when we stay in their beach condo, Beck will be showing you around okay?"

"Oh great." I didn't really know what to think about all of this. My stomach was already starting to flutter at the thought. I love the beach, and I would get away from Phillip for almost two weeks. Beck and me at the beach, with no Phillip around. Why should I be nervous?

"So this condo? I get my own room right?"

"Of course, honey. We all have our own rooms. Melinda showed me pictures of her beach house and it is beautiful. And Melinda said that if we like it then we can spend the summer there. Wouldn't that be awesome?"

"It all depends on Spring Break."

"Well, I think it's going to be the best ever and then we'll have the best summer."

"What about dad? What would he do all summer?"

"I don't know. I don't care either."

It's moments like this that I can really see how much my mom doesn't care for my dad anymore. I know they are going to get divorced eventually. Probably pretty soon if a summer without dad at the beach makes her so excited. Somehow it doesn't really make me sad. I'm not surprised they're not in love anymore by the way my mom treats him. She basically ices him out. It's no wonder why their marriage is crashing and burning. Because real love doesn't even last anyways, right?