Chapter 9

He's so infuriating! He won't let me play with the radio. He won't let me put my window up. One minute it's like I'm his favorite person and the next minute he's gripping the steering wheel so hard his knuckles are white. It's like he's hot then cold. Fire and ice. It reminds me of Phillip, which makes my hands start to sweat and my heart beat faster and faster. At one point he leaned over to the glove box and his sudden motion made me flinch away. When he saw me cower into the side of the door, he frowned but didn't say anything. The frown caused a little crease in between his eyebrows and I wanted to reach out and smooth it but I held onto my pants leg to keep my hands to myself.

Don't do this to yourself, Sarah. You already have enough problems.

I'd catch him looking at the different bruises on my body and then he would frown and look away. It'd only been like, 5 hours and I was already ready to get out of the car. My neck had a cramp in it that was so bad it was giving me a pounding headache. Beck switched the radio and my favorite song came pouring out of the speakers.

"I love this song!"

"Really?" He said. "If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy?

If our love's insanity, why are you my clarity?" He sang, loudly, off key as I nodded along. I clapped my hands.

"That was absolutely beautiful."

"Yeah think so?"

"You've got a fan already."

"Why thank you, flower."

"Don't worry, I promise that when you're famous I will tell everyone that you LOVE being called Franny."

"You wouldn't dare."

"Oh but I would."

"Sing, Sarah."

"I'm okay." I shook my head.

"You said you love this song. So sing."

"Really no. I'm fine." He grabbed my hand.

"If you sing for me, I promise to let you use the radio."

Oo. That was tempting.

"Only of you sing with me, Mr. Superstar."

"Alright."

We proceeded to sing but quickly started to laugh when Beck started making up his own dance moves. I held my stomach.

"Ow!" I cried. "I'm laughing too much!"

Beck reached out and turned the dial to another station. Ingrid Michaelson's voice rang out.

"You've got to be kidding me." I rolled my eyes. He matched the volume of the radio, his voice scratchy and low. When he glanced at me, I made sure to keep my mouth in a tight line, holding back laughter.

"I can't help, falling in love with you."

I rolled my eyes when he took my hand in his. Alternating looking at the road and me, he sang to me. "So won't you please take my hand and my whole life too. 'Cause I can't help, falling in love with you." I giggled as he kissed my hand.

" 'Cause I can't help falling in love, falling in love, I keep falling in love with you." He looked up at me, his deep brown eyes staring into mine. I cleared my throat and looked away, breaking the moment. Beck let go of my hand when I pulled back.

"Gotta love Elvis." He grinned and went to turn the radio.

"Ohhh no, mister. I get to control the radio remember?"

"That's right. We wouldn't want you to beat me up again."

"Oh come on! It was one time."

"I believe it was more then once. You, Sarah Cade, were a bully when we were younger." I narrowed my eyes and opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by my phone ringing. As I reached for it, I pointed to him.