Chapter 1- Cold Coffee

(Avery's pov)

I drove past the same little corner store I did ten minutes ago.  Okay, I'm officially lost. I should ask for directions. I pulled over and asked a girl on the side of the road. 

"Um... excuse me? Do you know how to get back to London?" I apprehensively asked the stranger. A girl with long brown hair and piercing blue eyes turned around to face me. 

"Yeah... you take a left up at the next light and then follow that road until...." I couldn't help but to notice how much this girl intrigued me. She had such beauty that was only measurable to that of a movie star. She didn't belong on the cold and rainy streets on the outskirts of town. 

"Thank you. Hey, do you need a ride?" She pondered on the thought then nodded her head. 

We passed a coffee shop, so I decided to treat the girl to a cup of coffee. We ordered our drinks and sat down at a table alongside a window. She awed at the warmth of the drink before taking a drink. Afterwards, she thanked me for the drink and continued to stare out at the downpour outside the window. Her face was pale and her eyes looked lonely and sad. Everything she did was a cry for help. 

I was never a cold-hearted person that had no sympathy towards troubled people, but I have never felt so obligated to help someone in my life. This girl looked like she had nothing to live for anymore. She didn't look like a junkie whose addiction forced her one the streets. There was something brillant hidden behind her dull blue eyes. 

"So, what's your name? My name is Avery Quinn." 

"Charlie. Charlie Carter. It's nice to meet you, Avery." Her smile was contagious. 

"I don't mean to be pushy or anything but why were you out in the streets in the pouring rain by yourself? Don't you have a house to go home to?" Her face immediately dropped. 

"I wish I did." She sighed, gently tapping on the side of her mug. "About three months, I lost my family in a house fire. I was held up at work, so I wasn't there when it started. By the time I got there, I was too late." 

"I am so sorry for your lost. It must be so hard being so young while having to live out on the streets and having no family to love and support you." 

"I try my best. I do odd jobs here and there to make a few pounds. It's hard, but I hope that one day it will all work out." 

This girl's truly wonderful. She has such an optimistic outlook on life, even though she's been beaten down so many times. I want to do everything in my power to help her. 

"Charlie, I have an extra room at my flat. Would you like to move in? It's just me and my fiance, Joel in the house. It would be a pleasure to have you." 

She perked up quickly. She was obviously holding back a smile. 

"Avery, I couldn't do that to you. I would be imposing." 

"No you wouldn't. I mean it would just be until you get back on your feet. I could use a girl friend around. Joel is always bringing around his band mates and all." 

"If it is okay with you and your fiance, I'd be eternally grateful." Her eyes started to well up. 

"I would be honored." 

"Oh thank you so much, Avery! I can never repay you." She started to cry as she got up from the table and hug me. 

I know that it all seems strange and idiotic, but it felt right helping Charlie. She needed someone to support her and I felt like I was the only person who could help her off the streets.