Chapter 9- It Ain't Pretty

(Joel's pov) 

Charlie yelled to me from her room.

"Hey, Joel, I know you have been going through some rough times lately, so let's have fun. How about we go out for a drink and maybe go somewhere after? How does that sound?" I smiled.

"That sounds perfect. I'll go get dressed." I ran into my room and grabbed some clothes. I walked out into the living room. Charlie was standing by the door. She wore a little, pink, lace dress with a pair of white sandals. Her hair was curled and had a band in it to keep her hair from her face. She looked gorgeous. Oh hell no, Joel. You can't be having feelings for Charlie. She is one of your best friends, not some girl you can rebound with. 

We made our way to the pub two blocks away from the flat. I can't help but to stare at her. Why am I having feelings for Charlie? I mean, yeah she's beautiful and compassionate, but she is dating my best friend and I live with her. We entered the little pub and grabbed a booth, instead of sitting at the more public bar. We grabbed our drinks from the bar.

"So how have you been, babe?" God, if only she knew how bad that word hurt. 

"Good, I guess. It's hard knowing the one person you could trust and tell everything to left and broke my heart." It honestly did hurt like hell.

"I know it hurts to lose the ones you love, hell, I'm experienced in it. Although, in the wise words of Ladt Antebellum, everything worth fighting for is worth the ups and downs." She always made cute references to lyrics. 

"You are so cute when you quote songs." She giggled. 

"I'm really not that cute." I rolled my eyes.

"God, not this. You are beautiful and perfect." She blushed. "You sound like Avery. She used to say she was ugly and horrible. I used to play guitar to make her feel better." Her smile streched from cheek to cheek. 

 "What are you smiling about? It seems quite suspicious." She winked.

"Okay, why don't you play the guitar for me. I love acoustic music."

"Okay, only if you sing." 

"Deal. Let's go." 

She almost ran the whole way home. I guess she really wants to hear me play. Avery never got this excited when I played the guitar, or for that matter anything. We opened the door. She went into her room to change.

"Hey, Joely, do you have a sweatshirt or hoodie? Mine is in the wash." I nodded and went to my room to grab one. I went into her room to give it to her. She was in nothing but a bra and panties. She covered herself with the blanket from the bed when I came in. 

"Uh, sorry, Charlie." Her face was still red.

"It-it's okay." She put the sweatshirt on. Avery never wore any of my things, even though she would look just as adorable as Charlie. 

"Let's go to the couch." Charlie said, grabbing my guitar for me.

"What song do you wanna sing?" She thought for a moment.

"Broken Arrow by The Script."I okayed the song and started to strum. She sang every word with a beautiful presence. I was so proud of her, I mean for everything. Not just singing, but strongness, will, and fight. 

"Charlie, I want to say something."

"Sure, Joel, anything." 

"I wanted to say that I am proud of you. I mean you sent your demo to a record deal, you have stayed strong, and you are still an amazing person after everything you've been through."

She smiled and hugged me. She pulled away slightly, leaving me face to face with her. Oh what the hell. I kissed her. Our lips moved in sync and I whispered in her ear "What do you wanna do? Bedroom or not?" She let go and sighed.

"Joel, I love you, as a friend, and I'm dating Andy, but I just.......Oh what the fuck, let's go." I hoisted her onto my stomach and carried her to the room. We crawled into bed, undressing ourselves. 

Afterwards, she lied there almost sleeping in my arms.

"Char, I have to tell you something." She moved and looked up at my face.

"I have wanted to do this since the day Avery brought you home. I think you are the most wonderful person in the world. I love you...."

"Which way do you mean?" She looked a little worried about my response.

"Both friends and lovers. Don't hate me. I know you are dating Andy, and if you want to be with him you can. I just want to know."

"Joel, can't we just live for now?" I smiled and kissed her forehead. 

I heard a phone go off. It was Charlie's. She got up to check it.

"Joel, it's Andy. What do I do? Tell him I'm cuddling with you, post sex?" She started to look really worried.

"Babe, let it go to voicemail. Tell him you went to bed early last night." Charlie sat at the end of the bed. She threw her hands up to her face.

"What did I do, Joel? I mean I really really like Andy, but I think I love you." What just came out of her mouth?! I walked over to her.

"Charlie, baby, listen. I don't care what you do. Sure, I'd love to call you mine, but if you love Andy, you love Andy." She looked up at me, tear-stained face.

"O-okay. Joel, I think I'm breaking up with Andy tomorrow." I saw it in her eyes that she was still hurting.

"I love you, Charlie. Now let's get back to cuddling. I love your warmth."

"I love you, too, Joel. I just feel horrible for Andy." She crawled back into my arms and feel asleep.