Ch 70: Chance Deal

With the night ending smoothly, the unit packed up and began their journey onwards. Although reassured by Avrin, they were quite nervous. They were heading to towards the Twisting Lands, a land of horror. Any hardened knight would fear without a capable group.

The 3rd in command, wanting to take another shot at convincing Avrin to change destination, told him the tales of 3 Master leveled combatants vanishing after entering deep within. Of course, his face turned sour when Avrin gave a soft chuckle and replied with eagerness in wanting to arrive.

Avrin was careful on the trip. He knew that despite being in the Central Continent where humans ruled monsters, the biggest issue was bandit groups who were organized such as the group Gregson's convoy encountered.

Of course, to Avrin, he was sure he would survive. But as strong as one is, when protecting others, such a person cannot underestimate thorough thinking. Especially bandits that may have been doing this for a while.

Avrin's Divine Sense spread out, and he was easily able to navigate through hot spots. Despite this, he felt the situation too broken in doing so, and kept pressuring himself that there may be someone who can avoid such a sense. But as much pressure as he put on himself, he was only met with laughs and joyful words over the days of the knights having not encountered any bandit groups.

"I can't believe how smooth travelling is. It's quite rare not to encounter a bandit group, but it's been a few days and we are almost at the western port city. Indeed, we are with luck today"A veteran spoke in the back and the others seemed to nod in agreement.

Kael smiled and spoke out "I'm sure they all fear Lord Avrin. With him, we have nothing to be afraid of" Avrin was a little uncomfortable with this boy who seemed to praise him endlessly. Avrin knew he wanted to get stronger and was trying to appeal to him, but it would take some getting used to.

Nearing the port city, Avrin's face turned into a frown. He had detected many single mana sources spread out and he knew it would be impossible to avoid them unless he wanted to waste another day.

"Hmmm, expect an ambush in 20 minutes" Avrin calculated that in 5 minutes they would arrive, and it would take another 10 minutes for the person that spotted them to go report back and then get organized, and a final 5 minutes for them to prepare.

The knights laughed at Avrin's words "Lord Avrin, surely you are kidding? We have yet to encounter bandits and this close to the port city? They wouldn't dare." The 3rd in charge spoke and the others seemed to agree like a bunch of buffoons.

"-Idiots...-" He thought quietly, and they continued down the rocky path in the dense forest over a small hill. Kael pointed. "There it is Lord Avrin! The port city of Rael" Avrin tilted his head and replied "Rael? Why is it called that" (A.N Rael in their language means Strength and avrin does understand a majority of the languages) 

Kael spoke "Ah, Lord Avrin, you don't know? Usually only wealthy merchants or adventurers and strong warriors come here to head to the western islands, and when they return, they get to sell monster parts and things they found. So only people with strength bother to go there"

Nodding quietly, Avrin turned his attention to the 60-70 mana sources hiding in the tree lines as well as the bushes around the area. "-30 meters ahead-" thinking to himself, he stopped his horse and suddenly everyone did as well.

"Lord Avrin, what's wrong?" Kael asked curiously. "Look carefully Kael, this is another lesson. Always be aware of your surroundings. You can never know what filth lurks within. Your comrades should learn this as well."

The knights blinked and glared, confused at Avrin's taunt, unsure why he had spoken. "Lord Avrin, what do you mean by offending us?" A knight spoke. Avrin raised his finger and a black sphere with purple edges charged. It was in the shape of a void sphere that would then condense into an arrow like spike.