Chapter 23

It was a week before I could see Will, and I spent the entire time up until then pacing my cell and worrying about him.

The angels and demons finally stopped negotiating and allowed me to visit, with Reyna to keep an eye on me, and a few angel guards to keep an eye on her.

A nervous knot formed in my stomach as one of the guards led us towards the infirmary. What if he doesn't wake up, ever? I thought. Or, what if he does wake up, and his memory is altered?

"Nico," Reyna said, exasperation obvious in her voice. "Stop thinking about whatever you're thinking about. You're making a face."

"It's all the sunlight," I protested, which was partially true. The place was annoyingly bright and cheerful.

"You're being such a stereotypical demon, calm down," Reyna rolled her eyes at me and stepped around the angel guard, who was standing at the infirmary door.

Taking Reyna's advice and pushing my fears to the back of my mind, I followed her into the infirmary. Only a few beds were filled, so I recognized Will easily and pulled Reyna over.

I was surprised at how normal Will looked. His face was calm, and he wasn't deathly pale, or really skinny. If I hadn't known better, I would've thought I could just shake his shoulder and he'd open his eyes.

There was a blond guy sitting in a chair parallel to the bed, leaning back with his eyes closed. He opened his eyes as we approached and regarded us with interest from behind his glasses.

"You must be Nico," he said, looking at me.

"Yeah," I replied awkwardly. "Somebody said I was coming?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I'm Jason, by the way. I'm supposed to fill you in on the details."

"Okay," I said, taking the chair on the other side of the bed. "So-"

Reyna cleared her throat.

"Oh, yeah, um," I said. "That's Reyna. She's here to keep an eye on me."

"And because I'm your friend!" Reyna glared at me as she dragged a chair over from one of the vacant beds to sit beside me.

"That too," I said, turning back to Jason. "Okay, so what's happening? Why won't he wake up?"

Jason shrugged. "We don't really know. The medics say that his immune system is trying to fight off the demon magic and if his body can get rid it, he'll wake back up once he regains his energy."

I shifted in my seat. "What if he can't fight off the demon magic?"

Jason frowned. "Um, the medics aren't sure about that. Either he'll be permanently comatose, or..."

I nodded, swallowing the lump of fear in my throat. Please, please, please, let him be okay.

"Do you think I could come back again tomorrow?" I asked.

Jason nodded. "I'd have to talk to a few other people, but most likely yes."

He turned to Reyna. "I can actually go check on that right now, but you'd probably have to come with to speak on behalf of the demons."

"Fine by me," Reyna replied. She turned to me and glared. "Stay out of trouble."

"I won't," I replied, rolling my eyes.

Once the door was shut behind Jason and Reyna, I leaned forward and held one of Will's hands in mine, relieved to feel the flutter of his pulse against my fingers.

__________________________________________________________
This chapter has 666 words. I'm very proud of myself.

I also realized that I haven't said thank you in this fic yet.

Thanks!!!!

This almost has 9k views, which makes me really happy, mainly because when I started writing it, I had no idea how to write their characters and only a vague sense of a plot. Thank you all soo much for taking the (admittedly short) time to read this, especially since lately, I haven't been good at updating consistently. I'll try to get better at that. Anyway, thanks a lot. You're all the best.

xo - romanticxchemicals (lucy)