Chapter 24

I was immensely glad when Reyna said that I was allowed to come back to visit Will, and doubly so because it let me be there when he woke up.

I had been leaning forward in my chair, forehead resting on my knees, thinking about the trial, and how I was going to fix the mess I was in. I could tell a few of the demons, including Reyna, were beginning to side with me, but many of them were still skeptical. I just hoped that when Will woke up (I was trying to avoid thinking about the "if"), his testimony would help convince them.

The main issue was with Hades, and his obliviousness to how corrupt some of his officers had been. Many of the other demons sympathized with me in terms of my feelings about Octavian and his beliefs and policies. The information about Octavian's planned assassination definitely helped my case, especially because Hades cared more about his own skin then actual criminal justice.

I heard bedsheets rustle, and looked up suddenly. Will had turned on his side, towards my seat.

"Will?" I asked, picking up my head.

"Mmm," he said, blinking his eyes open, then squinting. "Uh...Nico?"

I stood up from the chair and knelt beside the bed, eye level with Will, and put my arms on the mattress.

"Will," I said, so relieved I could've cried, if I'd had less pride. "I...I was so worried. Are you-how do you feel? Are you okay?"

"Uhm...thirsty," he said, blinking slowly. "And tired. Really tired. But otherwise...not terrible."

"Okay," I replied. "Um, I'm going to get one of the doctors. Be back in a second." There were no other patients in the infirmary at that moment, and the only guard was outside the room and not paying attention, so I kissed Will quickly on the cheek before standing up.

I told the guard standing outside the room, and he went to get one of the doctors. The doctor, Austin, checked his pulse, and turned to me.

"He's going to be okay," Austin said, grinning. "He just needs to sleep for a few hours more, and he'll be fine."

"Great," I said. "That's really good. Do you think I can still come back tomorrow?"

"Don't see why that would be a problem." Austin wrote a few lines on a clipboard beside the bed. "Everyone here trusts you now, and I think Will would like it, considering you two were good friends."

Very good friends, I thought. Reyna was still the only other person who knew about Will and I, and now that he was better, I realized that we might have to tell people, which would be a whole other mess I didn't know how to clean up.

I told Reyna that Will woke up when I came back to the Underworld, and she must have had the same thoughts as I did, because we were on our way to another meeting with Hades about my case, when Reyna said, "Okay, so, you know what you told me when I found you and Octavian and Will?"

"About...?"

"How you said you..." Reyna lowered her voice. "...loved him."

"Yeah," I said. "Well, I'm still kind of confused, so I'll let you know when I find out."

"Okay," Reyna said, twisting her hands together. "Well, um, just, you know. Love is a big thing. Don't...don't rush into it. I mean-"

"Okay, okay," I said, glaring at her. "Thanks for the lecture; you're not my parent."

"I know, I just don't want you to get in any more trouble. There's more than enough to deal with already," she said, shaking her hair out of her face as she opened the door to the meeting room.

____________________________________________

i am so so so so so sorry that i haven't updated recently. i've had a shit-ton of homework lately and my mental health has not been great until now, so i thought it would be best for me to take a little break. i'm getting more ideas though, so i think i'm going to write a few chapters now and post them at weekly intervals.

again, i'm so sorry for not updating sooner.

love you all and thanks so much for taking the time to read this kinda crappy chapter

xo - lucy