Chapter One

"Clarity!" June snaps her fingers in front of my face. I jump a little and shake my head.

"Sorry." I rub my eyes and look at her. She's staring at me intensely with those frightening brown almost black eyes. "What were you saying?"

"What, or who, were you staring at?" she asks.

"Nothing. Just some girl with a horrible fashion sense," I lie, not wanting her to really know who I was staring at.

"Must've been pretty weird if you were tuning me out WHILE I WAS TELLING A FANTABULOUS STORY!" June ends up yelling.

I raise an eyebrow. "Oh, really? That's why the whole table is intently listening?" I ask sarcastically. She scowls at me and looks down at her tray of food. "Oh lighten up." I laugh.

"School lunches are so disgusting," she says, scrunching her face.

"I know. It's like they're trying to poison us. Anyways, you wanna tell me about that fantabulous story now?" I say. June's eyes light up.

"Well, as I was saying, I was at the mall yesterday and I was going to that little coffee shop there. You know which one?" she says.

"Your usual," I say, moving the fork in my hand.

"Right. Well anyways, as I was standing in line, guess who showed up?" she says excitedly.

"Let me take a wild guess, Luke?" I say, this story already boring me into oblivion. It's always the same old story with her.

"How'd you guess?" June asks.

"That's the only guy you actually have interest in. Or person for that matter," I say. June glares at me, flinging a grape in my direction. I lean right and it flies past me.

"For your information, I show interest in you. It's not just Luke. Anyways, we talked for a little bit and I learned he's in a band," she says, moving her eyebrows up and down. I roll my eyes.

"Oh yeah? Must be a sucky band," I laugh. Luke was the popular boy of the school. He has all the girls swooning in his wake. Honestly, it's annoying and June has fallen for the biggest jerk ever.

"You're just jealous," she mutters, standing up. She grabs her tray and walks away.

"Drama queen," I mumble under my breath. Don't get me wrong, I love her to death but sometimes she makes me want to pull out my hair.

I look up and spot the same boy I was staring at earlier. He's playing on his phone, mumbling things to himself. His hair looks like a galaxy this month. Varying shades of purple and blue. He has a small eyebrow piercing on the right. Today, he's wearing a Dragon Ball Z shirt. His name is Michael. He's really quiet and doesn't really talk to anyone but somehow, he's gotten a reputation for being a freak.

June walks back by and taps me on the shoulder. I look up at her. "Yes?"

"Are you coming? I have to go to the bathroom," she says.

"Give me a sec," I say. I stand up, grabbing my tray and start walking to the trash can. I pass by Michael, tempted to stop and talk but he never even glances up. After I've gotten rid of my tray, I meet June by the cafeteria doors.

"Hurry," she says. June yanks my arm and pulls me along behind her. She pushes open the bathroom door, startling a bunch of freshmen causing them all to run out. June has a reputation for being the scariest person at this school and I'm her sidekick. "Good riddance."

"You scare everyone. That's an admirable quality. No wonder you don't have a boyfriend. You scare them all away," I say jokingly. June rolls her eyes and fixes her hair in the mirror.