Chapter Twenty

"Honestly, I could see Michael doing this but you too Clarity?" Ashton comments.

"Brain freeze!" I yell, bringing my head out from underneath the ice cream machine. I press my fingers against my temple. Luke shakes his head.

"Don't do that. Stick your thumb to the roof of your mouth," Luke corrects from his spot on the counter. Juniper apparently went to the bathroom otherwise should would be beside Luke.

I do what Luke says and my brain freeze starts to fade. I sigh and relief and say, "Thanks. That's a lot better."

Luke nods with a smile on his face and looks over at Calum who's feeding Medusa french fries. Calum laughs as Medusa barks happily, her tail wagging and almost knocking over a chair.

Michael groans in annoyance and I look over at him. He has a scowl on his face and he's looking at the ice cream machine.

"No wonder they always say the ice cream machine is broken 'cause this thing literally just stopped working. What the fluff is this?" Michael says, motioning to the ice cream machine while looking at me.

"Awe, you used my word," I say with a slight pout, my right hand pressed against my chest. Michael rolls his eyes but gives me a fond smile.

"Of course that's all my baby girl picked up on," Michael commented and I felt myself blush slightly at the nickname. Michael wraps an arm around my shoulder and pulls me against him. "She's so adorable I can't even handle the cuteness. Not to mention how-"

"Woah, there are other people in the room!" Ashton interrupts, throwing his hands in the air and turning around towards the drive thru window. Luke looks at us, shakes his head then swings his legs over the counter and hops down on to the floor. Well more like just stood up with those long leg of his.

Juniper walks out into view as Michael lets me go before giving me a kiss on the cheek. She looks over at her boyfriend before looking at us and raises a questioning eyebrow. I shrug and move to the counter to lean on it. Michael has wandered off, probably to find some deserts.

"Were you guys flirting and I wasn't here to witness it?" Juniper asks. She walks over to stand in across from me on the other side of the counter, leaning against it like I am.

"Michael was doing the flirting. I, however, was blushing and admiring how darn warm that boy is," I reply, sighing happily with my chin in the palm of my hand.

Juniper smiles and says, "You guys are so cute." Then her expression sombers. "Listen, I want to apologize for what happened between us. I said a lot of things I shouldn't have, that I didn't even mean, and you were right. It was wrong of me to ignore you at lunch when I forced you to sit at the popular table."

I put my hand down so both of my forearms are resting on the counter. "You know, I've already forgiven you for that. I mean, I definitely haven't forgotten but things happen. That's just life," I say.

"Thank you, Clarity. I will try to make it up to you though. I promise," Juniper says, placing a hand on my arm. I smile a little and look down. Sometimes promises are meant to be broken, I can't help but think. But this is not the case.

"You already have," I say softly, looking behind me at Michael who is drinking a milkshake while happily talking to Ashton about a what the world will be like in a thousand years.

It's crazy how fast things change but that's the exciting part of life. Sure, it has it's ups and downs but isn't that why we love roller coasters? Because they have their ups and downs and gives us a thrill? Life is a lot like a roller coaster: there are some people who don't like it and some people who absolutely love it.