Chapter Twelve

Once we arrive at my house, I guided Medusa inside as carefully as possible. Just as I was about to lead her into the kitchen, her tail hit the wall causing picture frames to fall from their spots and land on the floor. Glass sprinkled the floor but there weren't any big pieces so I was okay with it.

"Okay Medusa, now you just sit here," I say, motioning for her to sit. She obeys, her behind hitting the floor with a thud. A scream followed that along with a loud laugh.

"Where the frick did that come from?" I heard Calum shout from the staircase.

"Don't you be talkin 'bout Jinx like that. What'd that cat ever do to you?" I yell at him from the kitchen doorway. Michael appears in the living room doorway and leans against the doorframe.

"Yeah, Cal. It's just a little furry thing," Michael says. Jinx walks out of the shadows and twists around my legs. I pick him up and pet his head.

"Well, Jinx scared the hell out of me with those glowing eyes of his. I thought it was a bat or something. What kind of cat can hide in the shadows like that?" Calum says.

"One made of shadows," I say mysteriously before walking back into the kitchen. Medusa looks up at me with both heads but doesn't do anything about Jinx which surprises me. Jinx wiggles out of my grasp and hops down onto the floor. He sits in front of Medusa, neither of them makes a big deal out of the other. "That's weird."

"Mom! Dad won't give back the remote!" Calum shouts. I groan and roll my eyes.

"I ain't yo mother boy! And I definitely ain't married to that weirdo," I say. "You boys want something to eat?"

"Oh, yeah. Sure not my mom, are you?" Calum says, walking into the kitchen with Michael behind him. I roll my eyes as I open the cupboard.

"I'd be okay with you being my wife," Michael says and winks at me. Calum pretends to gag, turning his back from me. Michael laughs and pats him on the back. I glance behind the two boys and see Medusa and Jinx sleeping beside each other.

I smile to myself. If this was my future, I would be completely okay. Heck, if this was now, I'd be okay. But I'm not. My parents are who knows where, there are weird monsters roaming everywhere and as much as I don't want to admit it, I'm worried about the other boys and Juniper. Are they okay?

"Hey," I say, breaking up whatever conversation Calum and Michael were having, "Do you think the other three are alright?"

"Even Juniper?" Calum asks and when I nod he continues, "I don't know. Probably. I think they were having a chill out day at Luke's or something."

"What? I thought they were having a pool party," Michael says, looking at Calum like he's crazy. I wouldn't doubt it if he is, that boy is one weird one.

"That's where the something came in," Calum says like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Why weren't you with them?" I ask. Calum shrugs and that was the end of that conversation. "Anyways, did you guys want food or something? And if you say anything about women being in the kitchen, I'll straight up smack you into the 1920's."

Michael throws his hands up in defense while Calum laughs.

"Calum, better watch your mouth next time. Your momma isn't joking," Michael says, looking at Calum as Calum's mouth drops open. Calum goes to speak but Michael cuts him off. "So, what were you gonna make?"

"Anyone know if the power works?" I ask before I answer Michael's question.

"Yeah, the tv is on," Calum says. "Although the lights don't work. I had to pee in the dark."