Chapter Twenty-Two

Katniss's POV

It has been some time since Peeta was rescued to Thirteen, a good three weeks. Reuniting with him has been wonderful. Our time together has not been wasted, and Peeta is being well taken care of as asked. My mother assigned him appointments with her and another official doctor to check on his healing wounds. Coin has appointed him to take classes with other young men to train for Thirteen's military. I argued for quite some time with Coin about that, but over all we agreed to keep Peeta out of the military and on the camera.

"Its is only to keep his strength up, keep him presentable, stable, strong. We want him to look like a tenacious Victor, who, after a long road of struggles, manages to keep himself ready for battle," Coin said.

I rolled my eyes at her, blew out a laugh, and walked out of the meeting. Peeta followed behind, having agreed with Coin. It was one of many little arguments we had in out private room.  

In those three weeks, my stomach has expanded ten folds from when I started showing and Peeta has gotten more muscle on his body than those trained in One for the Games. Surprisingly, he has well ascended into a high rank, putting me to shame.

Our relationship is at its strongest it has ever been. Our lives going as well as they could in this situation. 

But we are currently in Command, the usual unknown people around us, with the occasional common face. Coin is babbling about a trip to Two and how smart Gale is for working with Beetee. 

Gale suggested his inventions of snares to Beetee a while back, and Beetee took interest in them. Coin had been asking for new weapons, ones for the Mockingjay and her crew. My bow is new and one of a kind, the other instruments Beetee has been given to update have been adapted to recreate Gale's snares to be a weapon against humans. Bombs mostly. He used the physiological side of them to make the weapons hi-tech and onerous on the mind. I can tell Coin is desperate to put them to use.

"We have plans set to invade the Capitol for the future. Due to Katniss's pregnancy, we will put it on hold for as long as possible, but the last few steps will be the most challenging.

"We first must secure all the districts. District Two will be the last. We have concurred the rest of the districts in success, with the help of the Mockingjay and her crew of course, but Two is a tough nut to crack. After we have achieved Two, we will advance to the Capitol to do our business. Between those two steps, we must make our army as strong as we possibly can. The age limit to enter has been cut to fourteen years of age for males, and females, sixteen. It is a big change, but they will have enough time to be equipped for the Capitol, taught the proper techniques in physical combat and weaponry, and lastly trained to know the ways of the Capitol and detecting danger. They will become highly trained soldiers in the time for the Capitol. But we mustn't worry of the army yet. Our next wall to go through is Two."

I think is bizarre the age of army men has lowered so low, almost to the age for the Reaping. But, I won't have to worry about that just yet. Prim isn't even fourteen yet, she would never be able to go into combat, so there is no need to stress.

There is need of a Mockingjay in Two, for propaganda and leadership. I know it will not be me and Peeta is here beside me as Coin continues going over the topics of discussion. If I cannot leave on doctor's orders, next in line is Peeta. What we need now is a good show, which can be provided by soldiers at war or combat, and cogent words for the people to believe. I can provide combat with just one hand, but the soldiers will do that for me. Peeta, fortunately, cannot. So, he will provide the words to coax the hardheaded people of Two to us. I expect Coin to suggest Peeta as the Mockingjay on this trip out, and she does.