MTNS Soundtrack

Okay, so I have been working on a sort of soundtrack/playlist of songs for this story. I will give you a little sort of description as to why these songs will work for this book. If you ever want to, listen to these songs while reading this book. I actually write with these songs playing to give me ideas or just put me in the mood to write. (I won’t be including songs from soundtracks of the movie because they have their own way of being right for this book, sorry)

*

-          In Too Deep by the Sweeplings

This song is talking about how far secrets go. I feel like Katniss has become so deep into this war and her new life as a Victor and rebel that it is indeed killing her, especially without the knowledge of Peeta and his wellbeing. She knows well enough her moves are connected to Peeta’s health and the war itself.

-          Centuries by Fall Out Boy

Centuries talks about a legend being made, and how one small mistake will ruin it. The legend, if played out right, will be known for centuries. As for Katniss, she cannot make a mistake because she will soon be a legend and be known for centuries.

-          Young Blood by Bea Miller

Bea Miller sings about being young and free, also about being a young teenager and how no one chose them. No one chose Katniss and Peeta to be the face of a rebellion, but they did. They made themselves, their love, and their courage. I just find the lyrics to this song so perfect for MTNS.

-          Jungle by X Ambassadors & Jamie N Commons

Jungle has an intense beat and sounds perfect for CFTNS and MTNS. The chorus talks about there being no god in the heart of the jungle, which I thick of as there is no one in control of Panem as it is at war. I just loved the beat and have been getting into rock music lately so for all of my amazing friends who love rock, this one is for them.

-          Monster by Paramore

Paramore has made another beautiful single about keeping everyone from turning in to a monster. I thought of Snow turning everyone against Katniss because he calls her a traitor, an enemy, a rebel, the villain, when in reality he is the one to fear and fight against. I also love this song for another one of my stories I have been thinking about writing soon so hope for that.

-          Barton Hollow by the Civil Wars

I find this song perfect for any Hunger Games story. The lyrics talk about not belonging in that place, for the Hunger Games the arena, about sin that they had committed and will never be forgiven for. As for Katniss and Peeta, they find themselves murderers and think they deserve to die for the sins they have committed.

-          Ready Aim Fire by Imagine Dragons

This song is from first point of view. It talks about a new person (Katniss) who is trying to change everything. The words ready, aim, fire remind me of when Katniss is readying herself to aim and fire at the arena. The song is powerful like any song for Mockingjay should be. It is jumpy and the lyrics fit the story well.

-          I’m Not the Only One by Sam Smith

Although Peeta never leaves Katniss for another, the song describes pain in losing the one they love. Katniss did lose the Peeta she loves to the Capitol, but the song does also describe her relationship with Gale. They were supposed to end up together, which is where the part of losing someone for another comes in – for Gale. The love triangle in the Hunger Games series was played perfectly unlike other books that was just based on that love triangle * cough cough * Twilight * cough cough *. The war broke Gale and Katniss in different yet similar ways. This is one of the slower songs that can be found on the first sound track.

-          Battle Cry by Imagine Dragons

Battle Cry has these lyrics that make you think about Peeta in the Capitol, being tortured and having the thought that no one could save him now or of Katniss while she lives with the lingering thought of Peeta being dead and her world crumbling to nothing. This song changes your perspective of what they think, of how they feel, and how they would react to upcoming events that happen to them.

-          What Now by Rihanna

Rihanna says, “I found the one he changed my life, but was it me that changed and he just happened to come at the right time?” in What Now. Katniss did change with the help of Peeta, he just pushed her along. “I’m supposed to be in love, but I’m numb again.” Katniss is supposed to be in love, happy, living the rest of her teenage years away with Peeta. But she is numb again, she lost Peeta and she doesn’t know what she will get him back.

-          This Love by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift’s new 1989 album is one of my favorites of the year. This Love is sad and romantic, which is what I think about Katniss’s and Peeta’s relationship. They have this love that nothing can break, not even Snow, but the buildup of it, the levels and complications that ensued were heartbreaking. Everything they went through soon turned sweet and kind, but the trip there took a lifetime.

-          Dark Paradise by Lana Del Rey

Dark Paradise is about, well, dark paradise. Her lover is gone, but she still dreams and thinks of him every moments. Her friends tell her to get over it, ask how she continues to live. True love lives on, she says. Katniss has lost Peeta for a time, and all she can think of is him and his safety, her dreams have become a dark paradise. That is the only time she can see him, which is the paradise, but it is a nightmare where he will be snatched away from her, which is the dark part.

-          One (Acoustic Version)  by Ed Sheeran

Ed Sheeran is probably my favorite singer/songwriter ever. One is a romantic song you just want to slow dance to with someone you love. It is really Peeta speaking his mind about how much he loves Katniss, how she is the only one for him, how he is just so drunk in love that he needs her to show him the way home to her.

-          Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift

Wildest Dreams is all about a lost love that she wishes he remembers. Her bad boy lover wants it a secret, wants fun and adventure. She wants him to remember her in the best of moments, ones that will follow him around even if it was pretend. For Katniss and Peeta, it was never pretend. Katniss always tried to be the best of herself around Peeta, because she knew she was going to leave this world for everything she has done, for all the people who want her dead. She only wishes Peeta remembers her well in a nice dress staring at the sunset with red lips and rosy cheeks.

*

Okay so I think that’s about it. If you guys recommend any that I should add, comment them below and tell me how you feel about these songs. Listen to them and learn the lyrics, see if you found a different way they can bring out the Mockingjay in them.

What is your favorite song out of the fourteen songs I picked? Who is your favorite artist? Your favorite song in general? Artist? Album?

Keep reading guys!

~Jez xo