Our Everlasting Melody (12)

"I can't believe I let myself get talked into this."

I was standing on the football field, in a tight top and short skirt. This was what we were supposed to wear for cheerleading tryouts, and it just made me hate everything even more.

My nose was still purple, and it hurt like hell. I had put so much cover up on it that morning that it did successfully cover the purple, but my nose now looked like pancake. Hopefully that would stop me from making the squad.

I didn't know where Cassie or Blake were, and I hated this because I felt like people were staring at me. And I hated that more than anything, especially when it was for a negative reason.

But when I saw someone I did know, I was surprised. Sean was one of the last people that I expected to be here, even though he had been on the team last year. He had graduated, so why was he here now?

He saw me and immediately made his way toward me, and I was glad. I really hated being alone around a bunch of preps and jocks.

"Why are you here?" I had to ask him.

"They needed another person to help decide who's going to make the football team," he informed me now with a shrug. "They said that they wanted the star quarterback from last year to help them with the decisions."

I guess that was... okay. It wasn't that I was upset that he was there; it was just that... he used to hate Blake. I really hoped that that wouldn't affect his decision about him. He seemed perfectly fine with Blake now, but I just couldn't be sure...

"Now what are you doing here, wearing that?" he asked me now, and I suddenly felt very embarrassed. I really didn't want to be there.

"I... I'm kind of trying out... for the cheerleading squad," I sighed, actually very ashamed that I was doing this. I didn't really think that Blake was going to agree to this.

Sean looked surprised. "YouYou're trying out for the cheerleading squad?" I nodded. His eyes widened even more. "But you hated it! When I forced you to join two years ago, I thought you were going to kill me!"

"I wanted to," I couldn't help but mutter.

This was just so embarrassing. I was just standing there, in front of Sean, a guy who was supposedly in love with me, in a short skirt and a tight top. This was just a horrible idea. I really hoped that I didn't make the squad.

"Oh, Leah!" a new voice now cried out, and I looked behind me to see that it was Cassie. Her smile just enlarged when she saw that her boyfriend was with me. "You're here! I didn't know that you would be here!"

Sean shrugged. "Yeah, well, I'm kind of a big deal."

I could tell Sean was joking, but I wasn't sure if Cassie did, because she then giggled, "I know!"

"Hey, Cassie!" we heard a girl shout, and we turned to see that it was someone else who was trying out for the squad. "Can you come here and help me fix my hair?"

Cassie smiled. "Of course!" she agreed before giving Sean a quick kiss before practically skipping over toward the girl. I really didn't understand how she could be so preppy most of the time.

"I guess it's just the two of us," Sean shrugged.

Just then, the football coach called out, "Sean! Could you come here?"

I made a face. "I guess it isn't just the two of us, then."

Sean shot me an apologetic look before jogging off toward the coach, and I was alone once again, surrounded by preppy girls and stupid jocks that I had never been able to stand.