Our Everlasting Melody (22)

"What the hell is wrong with you?"

This was what Thomas had asked me when my head rammed into a locker door as I was walking down the hallway with him. It took me a moment to realize that he was talking to me.

"What are you talking about?" I snapped, continuing on my way down the hallway as if nothing had happened. But it was a little hard ignoring all the snickering going on around me. "I'm perfectly fine."

Thomas gave me a look before grabbing onto my arm to stop myself from moving any farther. I tried to yank my arm from his grasp, but he was too strong for me.

"What's wrong?" he repeated a little more sternly now.

He knew something was up. He was the only person that I could really talk to, now that Morgan was gone. But still... I didn't want to talk about it. Because talking about it with someone else made it so much more real. And I didn't want it to be real.

"I'm fine," I assured once again, but I wasn't so sure what I could have done to make him believe me. "Nothing's wrong. Really."

I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want to think about what had happened the day before. Seeing Mona in his apartment, realizing that we really were unhealthy, sitting in my car for hours just sobbing... it was all too painful and I didn't want to think about it.

"Leah," Thomas now sighed, his grip on my arm loosening just a little. "I know something's wrong, so talk to me."

"Blake and I broke up," I whispered, staring down at the floor as bodies shuffled by us.

Thomas's eyes went wide, but he said nothing. He seemed to be so surprised that he couldn't even think of what he was supposed to say to me.

"Hard to believe, huh?" I simply questioned, turning away from him and starting down the hall now. He quickly followed after me. "Yeah, I'm still finding it kind of hard to believe."

"What happened?" was what he asked me now, and it made me stop dead in my tracks. This caused a freshman to ram right into me, and she backed away completely terrified when she saw that he had run into me.

I was about to apologize, but she quickly screamed that she was sorry and took off down the hall. Freshmen were really weird.

I looked back at Thomas now, who had a concerned look on his face. I couldn't help but bite my lip when I remembered he looked exactly like the ex-boyfriend I was trying to forget about. Only with shorter hair.

I turned away from him, not wanting to look at him. "I can't talk about this with you," I told him honestly.

Before I could take off once again, he was grabbing onto my arm once again. "If you can't talk about this with me, who else are you going to talk to?" he asked, and I knew he had a good point. "It's not like anyone else knew that you and Blake were still dating. If you acted this way after you guys supposedly broke up months ago, then you could talk to our other friends. Bu they'll know something's up if you start acting depressed now."

He was right. But how could I talk to him about this when he looked so much like Blake? I'd break down in tears even more than if I just tried to relive the memory.

"I can't talk to you about this because you look too much like Blake," I finally told him honestly, yanking my arm out of his grasp and taking a step away, still not looking at him. "Yes, you're the only person I can talk to about this, but you're also the one person I can't."

Thomas said nothing back to this. He knew I was right, and he wasn't about to push me into talking about something that made me feel upset and uncomfortable. So all he did was take a step back away from me and say, "Then I'll talk to Blake about it and be ready for whenever you finally want to talk."