Chapter 5

Her eyes grew wide as her chest rose and fell rapidly.

She wanted to question the unknown user, but her hands were shaking too bad.

"Eva, dinner is ready!" Her mother called up the stairs.

It felt as though something in her broke and filled her with numbness.

Someone knew.

Questions ran around her head. She couldn't think of who could know her real identity. She thought of Micah, but he wouldn't flirt would her online like he did if it were her. Doubt shook up that thought. She began to question is that was the reason for his calloused reaction toward her. Eva fidgeted with her hair as she joined her mother for dinner. With her brows furrowed, she picked at the lasagna her mother made.

It wasn't that her mother was a bad cook. She just didn't feel like eating. Eva felt like being Nancy Drew.

"Are you all right, Evangeline? Did something happen between you and Micah today?"

Eva shrugged, not really in the mood to get into it.

"I'm always here if you need me."

Eva swallowed down a scoff. Her mother was always too busy to be there for her. Her parents didn't even know she was drowning. If it had not been for the person she met online, she probably wouldn't be with her mother now. Her stomach churned, killing any appetite Eva could had faked.

"May I be excused?"

Her mother nodded with the sides of her mouth turned down. Eva got ready for bed. It was like she was just going through the motions. She stared at her laptop and her phone with distrust as if they were the ones who had relinquished her secret. She jumped when her phone rang.

Micah's picture with her showed up on her screen. She played with the braid in her hair as she stared at it. Eventually, Eva sighed and answered it.

"Hello?"

She didn't have the heart to reply to his hopeful greeting. Eva figured he got the hint that she still wasn't ready to talk to him. His harshness still stung. She could only imagine what he would say or do if he found out that she was Yours Truly.

"Eva, please talk to me. I'm sorry. Today has been pretty crappy and I shouldn't have taken it out on you."

Eva put the phone on speaker and sat on her bed. The phone laid in front of her. Her chest clenched. Eva debated telling him. Her teeth went to work on her bottom lip. She was worried how he'd react once she told him.

"Micah..." She croaked.

"Yes, Ev?"

"What...what if I had a secret that I never told you?"

He grew silent. It was so long Eva thought he'd hung up.

"Micah?"

"What kind of secret?" His voice was quiet and serious.

Her room began to get smaller, closing off the oxygen. Eva could hear her heart racing in her ears.

"Micah, could you come over? I need your help." She whispered. She couldn't do it over the phone. She needed to see his face.

"Be there in 5," he quickly said before hung up.

Evangeline wrung her hands together with nervousness as she paced her room. She fought with herself about if she would reveal her secret to him. She heard her doorbell and her mother letting in Micah. Eva could imagine the slight hurt her mother felt once Micah asked for her, but Eva knew she'd be happy that she was talking it out with someone. Micah's hurried footsteps reached her before her did. He knocked before he came into the room.