Chapter 10

"Okay, another one with you guys holding hands." Eva's mom commanded from behind her camera.

Eva rolled her eyes. "Mom! You've already taken 30 pictures already, literally. We're done."

"But, I just want one more..." Her mother pouted.

"Come on, Evangeline. It's one more picture. You don't wanna hold my hand?" George teased.

"No, I...uh...just thought..."

George slipped his hand into hers and held it with a firm grip.

"Just lovely you two." Her mom snapped the photo.

"We probably missed the movie." Eva mumbled.

"What was that?"

"Nothing! I said, boy, we should get to that movie. I'll be back later." Eva kissed her mother's cheek.

"Don't stay out too late and be safe out on the roads."

"Yes ma'am. It was a pleasure meeting you." George shook her hand.

"Surprisingly, likewise."

"Mom!"

"A woman has to be honest these days." Her mom went into the kitchen.

"Sorry about that. She's been weird all day."

"No problem. I actually enjoyed myself." He led Eva to his car. He opened her door like a gentleman and waited until she's settled before he climbed into the car on the driver's side.

"What film will we be seeing tonight?" Eva asked.

"Depends. What's your poison?"

Eva smiled at his analogy. "Hmm...Something with action and a little dash of suspense."

"They're doing a special screening of the blade trilogy, but it ends pretty late."

"That's OK. Let's go see it." She found herself saying.

She couldn't believe her ears. Was she really going to break the rules? Yes, it was a small bend in the firm line of rules, but it felt almost thrilling for her.

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. You only live once right?"

"Did you really recite 'yolo'?"

Eva giggled. "Guilty."

"I don't know what's gotten into you, Evangeline, but I think I'm growing very fond of it."

What had gotten into Eva? First, she was asked on a date, then she let her mom make her up, and now she was trying to be rebellious. Could this mean she was finally becoming a normal teenager? Eva believed that it must had something to do with how she felt about herself with her new look. Maybe she'd let her Mom do it again.

"Me too," she said to herself.

George parked the car in the cinema's parking lot and quickly made his way to Eva's door. "Malady." He bowed as he opened her door.

"Thank you, kind sir." She curtsied after climbing out.

George grabbed her hand and they walked toward the building. Eva felt the butterflies in her stomach fly around furiously. She couldn't believe that George was holding her hand in public.

Willingly.

She silently prayed he didn't notice the slight moisture in her hand.

"Two tickets for the Blade screening." George pulled out his wallet.