Prologue

The tiny girl looked up at the man with the gun.

"I know why you're the leader of this mission." The tall man looked down at her with a feigned expression of confusion.

"What mission? You mean protecting you?" He asked. His voice was light but the little girl could hear a slight tremble when he talked. She smiled to herself. It was satisfying to know that a military ranking warrior was scared of her.

"You're not protecting me. The electrified bars and bullet proof glass would do a good enough job at that. No, I mean the mission to protect others from me. The mission to kill me if I move too fast. I know why you're the leader of it." The child stopped for a moment and stared at the armored man. She giggled as she heard his heart rate increase, he was terrified of her because of all the stories he'd heard. The stories that labeled her at a monster, the stories that people would tell around a campfire to make children cry, the stories that were all true.

The small girl smiled sweetly at the man before continuing. "It's because you're the one that blindly shoots into homes. You're the one with blood-stained hands and clear conscious because you don't care that you've murdered the innocent. You don't care that you've widowed far too many women and left children alone far too many times. You don't care because you've fooled your heart into believing that what you're doing is good. That it's the right thing. News flash, it's not." She took a break to gauge the man's reaction. He was close to pulling the trigger at her. Good, I'm breaking him. The girl thought. "That's why you're the leader of this mission, that's why you're the one stationed outside my cage during the day. I wouldn't be the first child you killed and even if I was, you don't think I should exist. I'm just a genetically engineered freak as far as you're concerned."

"How do you know this?" The man asked. The unnamed daughter of science smirked as she noticed that he was tensing his shooting arm and was hovering his finger above the trigger.

"Because I can read your mind silly." She said. She ducked behind the bullet proof glass in her cage and started screaming before the man even fired a single shot. The bullets came none the less and the little girl could barely hear the sound of running footsteps over her own screams and the gun. The shooting suddenly stopped but she still screamed, she needed people to think she was scared or else she might get in trouble for provoking another person to try to kill her. She could a struggle as the man she had been talking to was pulled away. She went silent and stood back up.  The forced tears started to fall from her eyes and she refrained from laughing.

'Why did you do that?' The voice in her head whispered.

'He was scared of me. He was going to try to kill me in my sleep tonight so I took some precautions in case he'd been successful in his murder.' She answered with closed lips, using only her thoughts to talk to the voice.