Isolation

E looked out at the empty road lit by the early morning sun. Her sides were flanked by miles of dark evergreens with needles coated in dew. The air that ran through the car was chilled and goose-bumps had formed on the driver's skin, but she ignored the cold and drove.

'What are we going to do?' Andria asked with a hint of fear underlining her voice. 'We have nowhere to go and nothing to do, so what exactly is your plan?"

E tried to think of a proper answer but nothing came to mind. 'I don't know yet. Right now I'm driving until I need to stop.'

'But we don't even know where we're driving?' Andria yelled inside E's head. 'We're just going a direction? Is that what our life is going to become; driving in a direction until we drop dead!'

'We'll find something!' E paused. 'Just not right now,' she added quietly. Andria sighed heavily.

'What's the point; we know they'll find sooner or later, so why are we wasting our life trying to run.' Her voice was sad and dejected and it was difficult for E not to agree with her.

'Just give me some time, okay?' The question was met with silence and the two girls sat in it for hours.

***

The sun was now high in the sky filling the air with warmth. 'We're in Montana now.' She said to Andria as they passed the welcome sign.

'We grab some food and gas.' Andria responded coldly.

'Good idea,' E ignored her friend's sharpness.

Only about 15 minutes later did the girl pass through a small city. E stopped and filled the car then they went to eat at a nearly empty cafe.

Tables lined the walls but only one was taken when E walked in. She chose a spot tucked away in a corner of the restaurant. A waitress appeared and gave E a menu and take drink orders.

A few minutes later the waitress came back to give E a black coffee and wrote her food requests in a small notebook.

When the waitress left Andria began wondering insane questions and ideas aloud. E's mind became a flurry of words as her own thoughts mingled with Andria's.

'Since you're so against the idea of murder we could hide away in the forest or some remote area where we couldn't hurt anyone.'

'Complete isolation seems a bit extreme.'

'Not if you lose your mind. If you go crazy you can just kill hundreds of innocent people without a second thought because that's all you'll have. You were created to kill and that's what you'll resort to if you have no barrier of thought or reason.'

E silently listened to her friend's warning as she watched a tall man with a large platter filled with food walk towards her.

'All you have to do is kill someone every couple of months. It's really not very difficult and it's better than the alternative.' E noticed a light scar on the man's forehead. His flat hair covered most of it but there was still a small amount that contrasted with his tanned skin. An image of the man's dead body run through with a knife ran through her head. With confusion, E shook away the thought and was suddenly greeted by the waiter.

"Here is your appetizer of buffalo wings and a BLT with a side of fries." He said with a smile.

"Thank you," E replied returning the smile. The man walked away and the girl stared for a moment before turning towards her food.

'You were talking about me killing people or running off.' E called to Andria as she took the first bite of her sandwich.

'Our situation is unfortunate but we have to face it. We just ignore what you are.'

'You can't seem to decide if I'm a freak or your friend.' E responded after a minute of thought.

'I think of you as both; maybe a bit more of a sister than a friend but definitely someone I care about. It just also happens that you're not human, you're a creature designed as a weapon and so you are a monster.' It stung how matter-of-factly Andria said she was a monster; as though it were a commonly known fact.

The two sat in silence for the rest of the meal after that.

'We'll hide.' E said as she finished her food and watched a red kite dip and soar through the air. She left a few dollars behind as a tip and walked out.

'Where?' Andria asked.

'I don't know.' Was the only response before E started the car and drove away from the town.