Unsolved

E opened her eyes with the dim light of dawn streaming through her window. She sat up and wiped the sleep from the corners of her eyes. She looked at her clock and was almost surprised at the time,  5:00 on the dot, then she remembered that for her this was normal. Since she'd lived at the facility she had woken up almost every day at 5 o'clock sharp.

After remembering the minute detail, E got out of bed and stretched. It was strange for her to wake up on a mattress where for years she'd woken in beds of grass and in dirt ditches.

The girl felt more relaxed and happier than she had in years. It seemed to her that Andria was right; killing was her only option.

Feeling pleased and clear-headed, E took a shower cleaning the dirt and grime that had begun to crust on the skin underneath her clothes. She washed her hair and felt the oil and bits of leaves wash away. It was a joy for the girl to be properly clean. She'd bathed in the freezing waters of lakes and rivers but she hadn't had access to soap or any way to completely rinse the forest off of her. She had grown to accept the perpetual dirtiness but actually cleaning it away felt amazing.

After E stepped out of the shower, wrapped in the cotton towel, she washed all her clothes in the sink. It wasn't the best option but it did work for when the few outfits dried, they were clear and clean as if they'd just been washed by a machine.

E pulled the freshly cleaned undergarment on and a simple tank top on with a pair of short's that rode just above her mid-thigh. That's when she began studying her reflection in the mirror. Her unnatural silver eyes gleamed with hope and delight while her absurdly long  black hair fell in heavy sheets of damp curls. Her face was more oval than anything else and it was complimented with a jutting jaw and cheekbones with a slight protrusion. With a daydream smile, E noticed something she had never seen before. A pale, white scar, barely noticeable, wrapped around her head, just below her hairline. It was a small detail but the girl thought it interesting.

'How did I get that?' She asked the girl in her head.

'Probably when our removed my brain and replaced it with yours.' Andria responded dully, as though it were either completely obvious or completely obsolete. E looked down at the counter.

'Yeah, probably.'  She said as she walked out of the sink area. She pulled on a pair tennis shoes that were in desperate need of replacement as the bottoms were starting to fray and fall off.

'Why don't we just make today a luxury day. We'll go shop for new clothes and shoes and we'll even go to the grocery store and buy food so we don't have to waste all of it on restaurants.'

'Maybe we should check the news before we go.' Andria suggested.

'Why?' E scoffed. 'I know they'll find the body today if they haven't already and I already know everything they could tell me. I know who did it, how they did it, where they did it, and that the police will never catch them.'

'You're being awfully cocky for someone who has no idea what normal police technology there is, much less the facility's because I bet they're still looking for us.'

'Come off it. The facility probably thinks we're dead.'

'No, they don't! Just check the damn news.' E sighed heavily as she turned back and turned the T.V. The first channel was a Spanish program that E understood but no care for. After a few moments of searching through the channels, E found Channel 2 News.

"a terrible act of hatred is all we can glean from this crime." A woman dressed in a tight, blue skirt said while standing near E's crime scene. The reporter noticed a police officer ducking out from a strip of yellow tape. "Sir!" She called out to him. He stopped and ith a clear note of irritation, turned towards her. "Has anyone found a lead or clue to who may have done this?"

'She's a terrible reporter.' E remarked.

"I am unavailable to answer that at this time." The man said nothing more and simply continued walking away.

'See they don't have anything. Can we go now?'

"Yeah, fine.'With that E and Andria left though a worry of being caught still hung in the back of each of their heads.