Reckless Driving

The Experiment sprinted past Drew. She could feel the shock in her knees with each step as her shoes hit the pavement. She controlled her breathing and kept her run even. It was half a mile to the parking lot of the facility and if the doctor didn't make it she needed to. She pushed herself faster and faster and before she knew it she was at the car. She looked back in panic. She could see the doctor sprinting and the guards aiming their guns. Without even thinking her threw up her hand and within a second the armed men were thrown back onto the hard ground. Drew was still taking too long.

"Hurry up, we're not jogging through the park here!" She screamed impatiently. Her body shook as she watched heavily armed men flood the parking lot. They were shooting wildly and E pushed her mind to keep the bullets away from her and Drew.

Finally the doctor reached the car unscathed. He hurriedly unlocked the doors and the two got inside the vehicle. E watched worriedly the military swarm the area as the doctor started the car. She could hear dozens of voices yelling and they couldn't hit their mark. She focused on keeping the car safe but she knew she couldn't keep it up much longer as she felt thick, warm blood trickle from her nose and the corner of her eyes.

The woman shrieked in pain as her powers hold broke. The car was moving but she still heard the loud tinks of the bullets and the vehicle. Drew sped out from the parking lot and onto a dirt road that didn't seem to lead anywhere.

They still knew that they weren't safe yet though. a post soon came into view along with almost a dozen more men. More shots were taken and this time E couldn't do anything about it. She quickly ducked before the dashboard and pushed Drew's head down. His head hit the steering wheel and E could see his bright red blood out of the corner of her eye. Shattering glass joined the chaotic noises and E could feel sharp pieces cut the back of her neck and head. She took a deep breath and grabbed the steering wheel.

"Hit the gas!" She screamed. Her demand was met and the car was speeding at 96 mph. The guards quickly rolled out of the way moments before the car tore through the post. After a few more minutes of the insane, two-person driving they seemed out of the woods.

Both E and Drew sighed in relief. The Experiment suddenly felt a wave of both happiness and fear. She looked at Drew with wide eyes as he sped through the empty road. "I'm actually leaving. For the first time I'm actually leaving that wretched place." She laughed for a moment until she realized what escaping implied. "They're never going to stop looking for me. They're going to hunt me down and kill me. They...they're going to...I don't even know." Her breath quickened as she spoke and she was on the brink of tears. In the first time in the Experiment's life she was truly feeling panic and terror.

"Calm down. You'll be fine." Drew's voice was surprising calm as he continued to push 90 mph in the small car. E knew that the man didn't even believe his own words but she tried to calm herself.

A heavy silence settled in the car. The Experiment noticed that the road had become paved and the ride had become a lot smoother. She also noticed that they were still exceeding the speed limit by almost 30 mph but she decided not to say anything. She wanted to get as far away from the facility as fast as possible.

After almost an hour of reckless driving Drew finally slowed down to a more reasonable speed. It was late and the sun was starting to set. E watched as the sky turned from blue to a variety of purples and reds. "The world is beautiful." She sighed in wonder. Her comment went on ignored by Drew but she listened to Andria's voice as she spoke.

"This is the first time we've really seen anything past those bars." She replied.

"Yeah." E spoke silently. "I want to see it all. I want to see the beauty of Paris and the oceans of Hawaii and...I don't even know. I just see it." Andria nodded in agreement. Everything went back into silence as Drew continued driving towards civilization.