Chapter 12-Safe Place

Brendon's POV

Me and Ryan just don't stop looking at each other for like 5 minutes after that and I can't help thinking about where we go from here, over and over and over like a broken record. But this might be my favourite record. I feel so at home while with him. So at home but so lost in his eyes. I don't know, I've never felt like this before. I've read about being in love and stuff but never even imagined I'd come close to feeling remotely attracted to someone, you know. Woah hold the hell up. Love?! Who said anything about love? I mean I don't want to not love Ryan but that just feels alien... foreign to me. I've never even had a friend before and now I'm thinking about love? Maybe I should slow down but I really don't want too. Ugh! why is this so difficult for me to understand that I'm falling for him deeper and deeper every time I think of him. Of course I'm going to fall in love with him but honestly I didn't think it'd be this soon.

Ryan breaks into a endearing grin; finally breaking the contact his hand had with my neck. Feeling a bit awkward, I let my hand slide down his back in attempt to break the connection, only to make him blush. Aww I love it when he does that. I lift my hand away. We both turn round to face the piano, Ryan still holding onto his favourite school guitar. My hands dance along the keys playing a random little piece of music. I'm so randomly happy right now. I sigh, dragging my breath on. I glance at Ryan to see he's already staring at me. Letting out a grin I snake my arm around his shoulder and both our smiles grew. Returning the favour, he does the same to me. He's so warm and being with him makes me feel safe.

A sharp pain comes rippling through my arm and I flinch violently, jumping back at the sudden agony.

"Argh jesus!" I exclaim, louder than I wanted too. Ryan winces at the raise of my voice and jumps slightly, still sat on the piano seat.

I look down to find blood staining my upper sleeve. Damn! My freshly cleaned wound from my mom's beer bottle has opened and had no hesitation to pierce my body with discomfort. I raise my fingers gingerly to the quickly growing stain. Ryan must have squeezed my arm, not knowing what was lying under my sleeve. A constant reminder of my endless suffering at home.

Confusion and concern was plastered on his face. My breath quickened and my heart started beating out of control. I didn't want anyone to know about my mom. I didn't want to tell anyone about it at all. Without another second to pause and think about what I was doing I ran out of the door, swiping my bag up on the way out. My arm hurts terribly but there's nothing I can do about that.

I ran through the empty corridors like lightning. I thought I was running away from all my problems but I can't drown my demons, they know how to swim... When the gentle breeze of the autumn air hit my skin I knew I had reached the outside. Now what? I run to the only safe pace I can think of. I gather all my stamina and mental stability and try not to burst into a bundle of tears. I run to the bridge.

Ryan's POV

Watching Brendon sprint out of the classroom, I feel my heart sink. Oh my God this is all my fault. What have I done? What If he hates me now? My breath quickly finds an uneven sequence and I feel the tears begin to swamp my vision. There's no Brendon to calm me down now. What have you done you freak? Brendon never wanted to kiss you. He doesn't want your mentally unstable self. I feel my body hit the cold floor and the warmth of Brendon is exorcised out of me by the inevitable feeling of a upcoming panic attack. My arms wrap round my legs and I curl up into a tight little ball on the floor. Tears are flooding out of my eyes now. I hurt him! I hurt him and it was all my fault. What if he was lying about liking me back? What if he-Oh my God. What If he does something? I look at the time on my watch. 20 minutes! That's more than enough time for him to hurt himself. Grabbing my bag I run out the door quickly drying my eyes with the back of my hand.

The first place I think of is to run to Brendon's house. Though I've never been inside, he's mentioned where it was before so I knew where to go. I reach the front of his drive and slow my pace to a quick walk. I knock on the door forcefully. No answer. More panic came to me as I smash my fist to the door, knocking again. Silence.

A sudden thought erupted in my mind as I remember I have a phone. You absolute idiot Ryan you could have called him! I sigh impatiently and frantically search around in my bag for my phone. Dialling his number my senses came back and I allow myself time to calm a little. Ring Ring. This carries on for about 10 seconds before He finally picks up. I sigh in relief hearing his voice.

"Hello?"

"Brendon where the hell are you?!" I shout down the phone.

"Umm I'm at the bridge." Something sounded weird with his voice.

"Okay just-stay there. I'll come and get you." And with that I hang up and set off to find this bridge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~5 minutes~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally find the thin stream of water running down the side of the road and follow the trail. I hadn't noticed until now that I was walking quite fast to be honest but that was expected when my best friend is hurt. Eventually I see the faint outline of a boy, sitting slumped on the edge, facing the sunset streamed water. Hearing my foot steps on the old wood symbolising the start of the bridge, his head whips round.

"Hey...hey it's only me." I say trying to calm him. Brendon's anxious but I'm not 100% why. He looks guilty and breaks eye contact with me. Sitting next to him I see the blood stain on his sleeve has grown and the dried tears on his cheeks. Why is he guilty? I reach my hand up, really careful not to touch him without permission. Brendon sees what I'm doing and nods to tell me to proceed. As gently as I can, I lift up his blood stained sleeve and with one hand I hold I above the bandage. Brendon refused to look at me while I examine what lies on his arm. A very bloody bandage was wrapped neatly around his upper arm. Not wanting to hurt him I didn't poke around the wound.

"Brendon...why didn't you tell me about this?" Silence. Sorrow fills his eyes and his gaze followed the water's ripples beneath his feet.

"Who did this?" I know I'm being nosy but what do you expect?! I'm worried about him. I need to know if he's okay at least. I stare intently at him and let his sleeve drop. Bringing my arm down, I wrap my hand around his.

"It-It was... my... my mom."