oh, ophelia

I'm obsessed with Ophelia by The Lumineers (cue the chapter title)

+ I've been listening to "Upgrade U" for two weeks straight so cue the opening line

All I could hear was Beyoncé's voice echoing through the house.

And my sister screaming at me to get the fuck up for school because apparently I had only had ten minutes until it was time to leave.

Like the Flash, I almost spin into the bathroom and am out in under three minutes. I slipped on a sweatshirt and my shoes. (I unapologetically like feeling like I'm carrying my bed with me.)

I grab my backpack and rush down two flights of stairs, effectively finishing my workout for the day. Pancakes and syrup fill the room and I can feel my stomach awake from its 4 hour slumber.

Breakfast is laid out on a table made for eight, but only two seats get filled. Despite the empty space, I feel claustrophobic.

"Hey, my car needs gas so we're going to have to take mom or dad's car," Ophelia says while pouring maple syrup. I cringe - she's always liked her pancakes to drown in maple syrup. 

"Yeah sure," I reply shortly, a headache starting in my temples from my lack of sleep. "Can you drive though? I feel like I'm going to fall asleep at the wheel."

She rolls her eyes and hides a slight smile, her way of saying yes. "Uh, by the way, did you have someone over yesterday? I heard you talking." A perfectly threaded brow was raised at me.

I almost choke on my food. "I was on the phone with a friend," I reply a little too quickly.

She looks right through my lie but doesn't say anything. I stuff another bite of breakfast in my mouth so nothing else slips from my lips. 

Ophelia glances at her phone and her eyes widen. "Fück, we have to leave!" She shoves an entire pancake in her mouth and shrugs her bag onto her shoulders.

I run after her, wondering how she could multitask so well.

We end up reaching school on time and I'm in my homeroom before the bell rings. As the room fills up with laughter and chatter, my thoughts get busy again with Eros at the center of the chaos in my mind.

Out of everyone in the world, I, Tessa Calvin was chosen to have a guardian angel? And I didn't need one anyways; there are way more people deserving of one.

I'm ordinary; I live through the same struggles as millions of  17 year olds.

Just thinking about Eros and my mess of a life, I wanted to close my eyes and imagine a world where I'm out of high school, college applications aren't a worry and stress is word I can't define anymore. (But I know stress isn't going to be going anywhere anytime soon.)

All I could do was hope for the best and for a future not filled with mediocrity. And one particularly without an annoying guardian angel.