{ 03 }

{ 03 }

It's been a week since the audition happened and by now, the only thing I'm expecting is a rejection email or call. Hindi na naman talaga ako gaanong umaasa na matatanggap ako para sa role na 'yun. I won't be a hypocrite, I really wanted that. But seeing my performance and the fact that Jiyong was one of the judges' already deters my chance.

I closed my eyes tightly before loudly sighing. I don't know where to go from here. I'm back to square one, after all. Natanong ko na rin si Chaerin pero wala pa raw balita tungkol sa mga bagong auditions. It's really a good thing that I saved up a lot from my office work in the past before quitting and pursuing an acting career. Malaking tulong din na kasama ko ang mga kaibigan ko sa iisang bubong. Kung hindi siguro dahil sa kanila, lumubog na ako sa utang sa kung sino-sino.

I can't let this go on. I shouldn't wallow on that for the rest of my life, or else mas lalo ko lang pagkakaitan ng opportunities ang sarili ko. I squared my shoulders before going online and searching for any auditions nearby.

Binuksan ko na rin ang email ko para ma-check kung may nag-contact ba sa aking kakilala ko na modeling agent. Since I've posed for print ads before, may mga nakilala na rin naman akong agents at ini-email nila ako tuwing may gig na pwede akong sumama.

There were a few mails. Agad ko ng binura 'yung spam messages, but one particular email got my attention. It was from a certain Song Hwayoung, apparently working at KBS2.

Dear Ms. Park,

Good day! I am writing to you in lieu of the recent audition done for the female lead role for the Korean remake of the Taiwanese drama series Devil Beside You. We would like to invite you to our office this coming xx/xx/xx, 9:00 AM, to further discuss your acceptance as the female lead.

If you have any question or concern, you may contact our office at 317-8942 and look for Song Hwayoung. Our team is looking forward to your favorable response.

Sincerely,

Song Hwayoung

Junior Casting Director

Korean Broadcasting System

I gaped at the email for a good ten minutes before I realized that the day it was sent was two days after the auditions, when I was still at an all-time low and pulling a long face because of the wasted opportunity. I was so silly!

Honestly though, hindi ko naman talaga ine-expect na matatanggap ako. This is a big deal! Gosh, my first lead role ever. And in a bigwig broadcasting company at that! I don't know how lucky I am to get this role, even though I'd definitely have to face Jiyong every single day.

I was about to think about that when my eyes flew back to my laptop screen, belatedly realizing that I still haven't called them to confirm and that I will be accepting the role and the supposed meeting is set today at 9 AM and it's already quarter to 10!!! Goodness!

Mabilis kong kinuha ang phone ko para tumawag sa numerong nakalagay sa email. Palakad-lakad ako sa buong living room habang nagri-ring ang kabilang linya. Please, please, I hope they didn't give the role to someone else while I was stupidly moping... I silently prayed to myself.

I was biting my lip when the other line finally answered. "Good morning, KBS2. To whom am I speaking?"

"Hi!" Wala sa lugar kong sagot. Napapikit ako bago lumunok at nagsalita muli. "I'm Park Sandara. Can I talk to Miss Song Hwayoung from the Casting Department?"

"Please wait a minute, I will redirect you to Miss Song," the receptionist amicably stated. I impatiently tapped my foot on our carpeted floor as I waited. Mabilis ang tibok ng puso ko at kung ano-ano na ang pumapasok sa isip ko. Paano kung kahihintay nila ay nainip na sila at ibinigay ang role sa iba? Paano kung mapakawalan ko ang malaking tsansang 'to dahil lang sa katangahan ko?

"Miss Park?" Malinaw na boses ng isang babae sa kabilang linya.

"Yes, it's me." Agad kong sagot. "I'm really, really sorry for the late response. I just read the email and I have no idea what to do so I called."

Narinig ko ang mahinang tawa niya sa kabilang linya. "Gano'n ba? Oh, we actually thought you were just thinking about it kaya hindi ka pa sumasagot. Don't worry, I'll let them know immediately. Please do come here right now, though, if it's convenient for you? Andito kasi ang director at producers natin for the briefing."

"Yes, of course. I'll be there. I really apologize!" Ulit ko bago nagpaalam. I was rushing back and forth at hindi ko na nga matandaan kung paano ako nakapag-commute papunta sa building ng KBS. The next thing I know, a staff was ushering me towards the room where the director and producers of the series were in.

What I was surprised to see was that Jiyong was also there. Walang nabanggit sa akin si Ms. Song kanina na andito siya, but damn, he's here. And the jerk was smiling in an angelic manner na akala mo kung sinong santo.

I heaved a deep breath to calm myself before smiling. "Good morning, everyone. I apologize for my lateness." Hinging paumanhin ko nang tumingin sila lahat sa akin.

The director, Kim Hanjun, waved my apology off before gesturing for me to sit down. Nagpasalamat ako bago umupo sa tapat niya, directly next to Jiyong, much to my chagrin. Hindi na lang ako nagpahalata at nagpaka-professional. "It's nothing, Dara-ssi. Hwayoung already explained to us the reason why." Natawa siya. "To be honest, I'm glad it turned out like this, you know? We were worried that this project won't push through if you're not the lead."

Namula ako. Hindi ko naman iniisip na ganoon ako kagaling para masabi nila 'yun! "Imposible naman po yata 'yun," I smiled shyly.

"Hanjun's telling the truth, Dara-ssi." Singit ng isang producer. "Jiyong here insisted on you. He said that out of almost 900 who auditioned for the role, you're the only one who caught his eyes. Kung hindi ka nga siguro sumagot ngayong araw ay baka puntahan ka na rin namin dahil mukhang ayaw ni Jiyong ng ibang leading lady." He teased.

Marahas na napabaling ako kay Jiyong na nakangisi lang sa tabi ko. Hindi niya ako tinitingnan at nakipag-usap na lang sa iba para lang maiwasan ako. What the hell? What does he think he's doing? Sa tingin niya ba ay mabubura nito lahat ng ginawa niya sa'kin dati?!

The whole meeting passed by in a blur. I signed the contract and shook hands with several people, but half of my mind was still focused on Jiyong and what the producer said.

"Thank you everyone for attending today's meeting!" Palakpak ng direktor bago bumaling sa akin. "Dara-ssi, welcome to the KBS2 family. We hope to work well with you. Congratulations!" Sunod-sunod na ang bumati sa akin bago ako nakawala mula sa kanila.

I ran out para lang maabutan si Jiyong. Thankfully, it seems like he was still texting someone which was why he was just standing idly outside the conference room. Marahas na hinablot ko ang braso niya atsaka siya hinila sa tagong parte ng building.

"What–" simula niya pero inunahan ko na siyang magsalita. "What do you think you're doing?! Why did you insist that I should get the role?!" Galit na puna ko. I don't want to have any ties with him, but because of what he did, the others might think that we already know each other. Ayoko rin naman na akusahan nila akong parachute employee. I want this role, yes, but I don't want to get it just because the high and mighty Kwon Jiyong said so.

"Bakit ka ba nagagalit?" Mahinahong tanong niya. "Didn't you want the role? And now you have it. What's with you?"

"Hindi lang naman 'yun ang issue. Paano kung may masabi sila–"

"Why the hell would I care about what they'd say?" Putol niya sa sasabihin ko. He crossed his arms across his torso before smirking. "Besides, why are you reacting violently? Don't tell me..." he cocked his head to the right side before continuing, "...do you still like me, Dara-yah?"

I stoically stared at him. Napakakapal din naman talaga ng mukha ng taong 'to. Silence passed between us before I spoke. "Are you seriously asking me that, Kwon?" I deadpanned but his eyes remained playful before nodding.

Hindi ko na napigilan ang pagtawa ko. He looked puzzled, but I continued laughing. "Drink coffee sometime para nerbyosin ka naman. You flatter yourself too much if you think I'm still not over you. C'mon," I smirked at him.

"You're just Kwon Jiyong." I last said before walking away.