Chapter 3

"WELCOME EVERYONE! This is your first day of school, and for many of you, your first day of high school as freshmen."

Our homeroom teacher announced this welcoming comment, as students hurriedly shuffled into empty seats, in a loud, rumbling voice. He was middle-aged, with a bad case of  balding hair, possessed clear blue eyes, and a smile creased in the corners of his mouth. At least my homeroom teacher seemed nice, I thought. I was hoping all my teachers would like me. A couple of kids I had talked to who are sophomores at Edison High had said the French and Biology teachers were extremely strict in their freshman year classes. But I was ready to see what they were like before assuming the worst.

"We have some announcements here," he continued. The announcements he rambled on about were about running for student council, the upcoming school blood drive, the fall school drama production, and new clubs organizing this school year at Thomas Edison.

My interest really got sparked when they mentioned the drama production and a couple of the new clubs. They were going to do a production of Sleeping Beauty, with auditions this Friday after school. It looked like Ana was interested too, as she perked up as I did, if not more, when the announcement was made.

"Are you interested in getting involved with the drama production Hannah?" She asked with a big grin on her face turning to her left to me.

"Yes! Definitely, I love theatre," I replied with enthusiasm. "It's awesome!"

"Yes, I will too, especially if there is any part of the production that needs dancers, perhaps," she said, more energetic than I had ever seen her before.

You dance Ana?  I was about to ask, but then the class bell rang. "Homeroom is over everyone," Mr. Philips announced. "Have a great first day."

"Let's see, I have Algebra, then Biology class," I said, peering over my schedule. 

"Yeah, I have Algebra class next too," replied Ana.

"I wonder if the Biology teacher is as hard as the kids said?" I wondered aloud.

"Don't worry Hannah," Ana told me. "You know, I am sure she will be nicer than you think. And you're very smart, you know."

"It's not I don't want to like her. Just that the biology students of last year said its tough to get a straight A's or even a B with her. I just hope my grades won't suffer. " I was a student who always studied hard to get an A or B, and only rarely did I ever get a C in middle school. Molly and Riley always told me I overdid the studying a little bit, but I always stressed over grades anyway.

"Just try your very best," Ana encouraged.

~~~

Later that day, Ana and I found a corner spot for lunch. "Hey, this is where we sit!" demanded a guy in a football jersey. He looked like a football player too-he was enormous next to us. A couple other guys who looked old enough to be seniors looked at us almost in disgust at the "scene".

Alright, we'll...sit somewhere else," I said quietly. "Come on Ana."  We picked up our lunch platters to leave.

I didn't believe that he sat there usually. We had found a cozy spot in the corner of the cafeteria- like a senior would sit there! I thought. He's just picking on us.

Both of us looked a little out of place with our lunch trays in the middle of the cafeteria, finding no place to sit. We couldn't seem to find a spot anywhere. Edison High's adminstration needs to decide to build a larger cafeteria, I told myself.

"Here we go," I said, practically sprinting to the empty spot at the end of a table. We were finally able to sit down, and although rather quietly, said prayers before eating. Thomas Edison High School, surprisingly, allowed prayer, but only, as said in the student handbook, "as long as no other students were disturbed."

"Ana, you were right." After her questioning look, I said, "About my biology teacher. She seems actually nice.  I think it's just because she's wants us all to succeed, and she has to be firm with some of the goof-offs in our class."

"Yeah, well, I am glad. You seem good in science, so I think you'll do great in biology," said Ana.

I laughed. "At Thomas Edison High, with a heavy emphasis on science and mathematics, I think you have to be."

Ana laughed. "Yes, it seems that way," she replied. We laughed and chatted together over sandwiches and brownies until the end of lunch bell rang.

~~~

Thank you so much for continuing to read Following Her Heart up to my third chapter!! How are you liking it so far? :) Please comment with your opinion, what you like so far about the story, and what I can improve on ;)

Xx,
Veronica