Chapter 01 Mei: Part 1 (Beta) (Partly Edited)

Hong Kong 2026

Mei Juan Lin wasn't going to give up, no way in hell, even if it meant that the rest of her reputation fall to shambles after so many failed attempts. But she would make him pay for what he had done, not for herself but for every the other young woman that man had done them wrong. Doing something that could never be undone or forgotten.

She splashed cold water before looking at herself in the mirror, her black hair with slight reddish brown streaks that were almost impossible to notice unless close up, or in the summer, if it was summer those highlights would have been easy to spot. A number of times she had to apologize to her superiors and explain that her hair was 100% natural. It had taken a while until winter rolled around to prove that it was all natural, even now people still joked about it as if it hadn't been some big deal in the beginning.

Her dark brown gaze then turned from the mirror to the window that was close by. It had been cloudy the past several days, making everything dreary and wet with the weather still fluctuating from rain and cold wind. Normally the weather was always warm, but as of recently it had been nothing but rain the past few weeks. Probably due to the possible typhoon that had run past the country, there had been no major damage, or anything of the like.

Though in all honesty she was grateful for the cloud cover, with how much the sun beat down her eyes stung from the bright light. But it might have been due to the fact that she was simply exhausted from the past several cases she had been working on.

And lately her sleep hadn't been great ether; her mind was plagued with replaying the same event over and over again. Nightmares involving that man, always with that man every time, giving her no solace or peace.

Someone like him wouldn't stop; she knew that for certain considering his track record, and after trying to convince a number of the victims of those poor girls that were too scared to come forward to testify.

I'll stop him. She thought as she released a breath before narrowing her eyes in her reflection with determination.

"You're too strong willed." Her grandmother's voice echoed in her mind. "If you keep going on like this will only bring you more trouble."

I don't care about that. She thought. "I'll stop him no matter what." her voice was low and soft as she tried to keep her emotions in check. Letting out one more breath she moved away from the restroom's skin and straightened her white blouse and black suit jacket before leaving the woman's restroom to the front main hall of the Supreme Court building where she saw the accused was now leaving.

Yan Su, the bastard who had been accused of raping a young woman, he was leaving with a damn smile on his face. He wasn't even remotely sorry for the act that he has committed.

A number of reporters crowded around him and his lawyers as they made their way to the exit, she then looked back to those same doors and saw the young woman and her parents escorting their sobbing daughter as many of the reporters shouted out questions and inquiries in regards to the case that had happened, while the parents merely shielded their daughter against those trying to get her photo.

This wasn't the first time he had gotten away with what he had done. Yan had been charged with multiple counts of rape and substance use, but every time he had been charged he had got off too little with no repercussions. The evidence and everything involving the case would mysteriously vanish without a trace.

It had to end. Somehow it just had too.

"Mei," she glanced to Lao Po, a small-time online journalist, and old college friend walked up to her. He was wearing black rimmed glasses and plaid colored fedora with hipster-like clothes as he joined her side. "Still trying to get something on him that'll stick?" he asked.