Realizing something's wrong

Rhett kept repeating what he just said.

" Jessie McLaughlin and Cristy Neal has been infected..." The helmet said before it stopped working.

" Commander control, we wish to exit the project with immediate effect. " He said, over and over again, but there was no one there to answer.

What Rhett didn't know was that someone had kidnapped the crew. No one could save at this point, or at least so he thought. He decided that since no one would let him out, he'd take matter into his own hands, so he walked over to the toxic center of the infection. He knew that he'd probably would be infected, but he didn't care. He was helping humanity. He turned around and saw Link sitting up, and running away for a little bit. Later he heard loud retching noises followed by a groan of relief. Link then came back, looking at Rhett as he stood right next to the toxic center.

" Feeling any better?" Rhett asked.

Link nodded.

" What the heck are you doing? You're gonna be infected! " Link shouted in fear of having his best friend infected.

Rhett smiled with big tears forming in his eyes.

" Link. I have nothing to live for other than this. All our loved ones has been infected, Cristy, Jessie, our kids. All of them, infected. "

Link looked at his friend, who reached his hand out for him.

" Would you follow me in this, hoping that we can save them? " Rhett asked.

Link looked up at him, he still hadn't processed what Rhett just said. If he said that their kids were infected, he must have meant that both Lily and Cristy were infected as well. He wiped his tears and took Rhett's hand.

" I'm willing to follow you anywhere as long as I might save them. "

Rhett pulled his friend into a hug, feeling Link messy black hair underneath his chin. They both grabbed the toxin filled glass-ball in and waited for something to happen. Waited for them to absorb all the toxins and die. The ball slowly started emptying and the green goo leaked all over their hands, but it just ran down their arms and went away. They weren't harmed what so ever, nothing happened. At this point they had both closed their eyes, waiting for the final ending.

" Rhett? Are you still here? " Link whispered.

" I am, what's going on? " Rhett whispered back.

" I have no idea" Link said and felt how he lost his balance and started falling again...