Chapter 2 ~ New Forms And Abilities

Percy's POV

Terror. That was all I could think about as I changed into a monster. I watched in terror as my the symbol on my hands glowed, absorbing the golden dust of the beast I just killed, forcing my body to constrict and change into a hellhound. I could still feel the excruciating pain as my muscles and bones were broken and reformed, as they grew bigger, filling with new strength and power that I didn't know they could possess. But that wasn't the worst part.

What was struck fear through me like a bolt of lightning was my mind was forcefully shoved aside as the animalistic instincts of the hellhound took over my body. I saw myself running through the barren landscape of Tartarus, breathing in the acidic air, feeling the terrain trying to cut open my flesh, but I had no control over my body. I was a prisoner inside my mind as my monster instincts took control.

I fought against the instincts of the hellhound within my mind, but it seemed impossible. I felt like an ant trying to wrestle control from an elephant. The instincts seemed so chaotic, monstrous and untamable. I felt myself getting angry then. This was MY body. I controlled what my body does and I would be damned to let some stupid monster instincts wrestle control from what was MINE.

I felt restrained and I focused on what I was told a long time ago, 'The Sea does not like to be restrained'. I felt a familiar tug in my gut that continued to grow until it was almost painful. My monster body began to stumble and in one bellowing howl, I felt my mind snap back in control. I still felt the monster instincts inside my head, but subdued, tamed by my mind and unpredictable mature. Who knew being an unpredictable troublemaker would one day help me regain control over my body after being cursed to change into a monster? No one that's who! (Note the sarcasm).

I took this time to look over myself in my new monster form. I was huge, about the size of F-150 ford truck. I felt a tingling sensation in my muscles, a strange new power that seemed to electrify my nerve-endings. Corded muscle covered my entire body, my haunches felt like they could leap great bounds, ready to snap into action at a moment's notice. I looked at my massive paws with four three-inch claws sprouting out of my individual digits. I worked my jaws around, opening and closing it a few times. I could tell that a single bite from these powerful jaws would cause severe injury to whoever I bit.

Strangely enough, I didn't feel as much pain in this form as I did while I was a human (well, a demigod but still). I still felt the pain of Tartarus trying to hurt and kill all who resides within the pit but the pain was lessened. I'm guessing this body is able to withstand the harsh punishment of the hostile environment better than my own body.

Pain suddenly burst through my head as I collapsed with a whimper of pain. Images began to race through my mind like I was watching a movie. I saw a tiny hellhound pup surrounded by its siblings, being born in a black cavern, opening its eyes for the first time. I watched as that pup grew older and bigger than all its siblings. I saw it hunt fight multiple monsters in the pit. I saw it escape for the first time and make it to the mortal world. Saw it hunt some mortals but mostly kept to itself out in the woods. Saw it get killed multiple times, only to reform back here. The final imagine was that of me shoving my sword straight into its chest before everything went black.

The pain subsided as I crawled my way to my feet. 'What did I just see?' I thought. Was that just a regular montage of what goes on in a monster life? No, those were memories. Memories of the hellhound, the hellhound I killed. I was shocked. For once I was actually seeing things from the perspective of a monster. The memories of the hellhound were now my own. It was a surreal feeling.

I picked myself off the ground and looked around to see where I was. I was in some sort of giant cavern, huge black walls surrounded me, and glowing stalactites dotted the ceiling, casting an eerie pale green glow around the cave. The floor had jagged rocks strewn all over the place. Looks pretty homey, I thought sarcastically.