Chapter seventeen

A few weeks later, dad and Danielle came to our house, with a new visitor. She was two years old and her name was Kayla. She had blonde hair and green eyes.

She was really loud and bubbly and Lucca got along with her straight away. We sat and watched them play together.

"When's your next one coming?" Dad asked, laughing.

"When Lucca's older" Lizzie laughed.

"You've already spoke about it?" Danielle asked.

"It was mentioned" I smiled.

Lizzie put her hand on mine and I kissed her cheek.

"Ew, yucky" Lucca laughed.

"Yucky?" Kayla repeated, confused.

We all laughed at them. I smiled and watched them play. They were like two peas in a pod and we knew they'd become inseparable, like brother and sister. It's weird to think of it like that because it's almost like she's my younger sister. I'd like her to call me brother one day.

Soon, they got bored.

"Park, daddy?" Lucca asked.

"We'll take you both" Danielle suggested.

"Yeah, we will" dad said, getting up.

"Aren't we allowed to come?" Lizzie asked.

"No" Lucca laughed. "Stay here"

"Well, sorry" I chuckled as Danielle helped Lucca into his coat and shoes, and dad did the same with Kayla.

"Be good, Mister" I called, before they left.

He ran into the room and climbed on to the sofa. He hugged us, and kissed mine and Lizzie's cheeks. "Will"

"Bye, have fun" Lizzie smiled.

"Bye bye"

They left.

I got up and started to clean the cups in the kitchen. Lizzie tidied the toys away that they'd been playing with. I walked into the room, sat on the sofa and pulled her down.

She laughed. "What are you doing?"

"Cuddling you" I smiled, kissing her forehead.

She smiled and laid her head against my chest.

It was quiet for a while.

"Tristan?"

"Yeah?"

"What was it like being with Melissa while she was pregnant?" Lizzie asked, sitting up.

I was quiet for a minute. It had caught me off guard a little. What was it like?

"Well, she wasn't her usual self, you know?" I started. "She'd have good days, but then she'd have really bad days as well"

She looked at me, expectantly.

She wanted to know more. What could I say?

"Hey, Liz. Why do you want to know?" I changed the subject.

"I don't want to be the same when we have a child of our own"

I smiled and hugged her. "You won't be"

She smiled and wrapped her arms around my neck. She fell against me and we both fell back into the sofa.

"Sorry" she blushed.

"It's fine" I laughed, holding her against me.

I leant up and kissed her gently.

She blushed more. "Don't do that"

"Do what?" I raised my eyebrow, playfully.

"You know what"

I kissed her again. "That?"

She smiled and put her head on my shoulder. "I love you, Tris"

"I love you too, Liz"

Suddenly the door clicked and in ran the screaming rabble of two two year olds.

Lizzie sprang up, her face flushed scarlet. My face was a similar colour.

Dad laughed. "We interrupt something?"

"Nope" Lizzie rushed.

"Nothing at all" I said, trying to hide my face.