Chapter fifteen

I was allowed the next week off from work and Lizzie stayed the week to look after us.

Lucca wouldn't say anything or play with his toys at the start of the week. He just sat in the corner, staring at the floor. I was having nightmares every night.

He started to get better and soon he was back to his normal self. I'm glad he's ok.

I sat and watched him play while nervously twiddling my thumbs. I was terrified they'd come back.

Lizzie put her hand on my shoulder. "Why don't you ask your dad to see if he can stay with him and Danielle for the weekend?"

I nodded then called my dad. He agreed then picked him up the next day.

I hugged him and made dad swear him and Danielle wouldn't take their eyes off him. He promised me they wouldn't and that he would be safe with them.

I hadn't spoken much but I was starting to feel bad for it. Lizzie had been looking after us and I'd hardly spoke a word to her. Maybe I should take her out to dinner or something.

"Do you want to get dinner tonight?" I asked.

She smiled. "You sure?"

I nodded. "Yeah. You pick, my treat"

"I need something nice then. Will you be ok for a couple hours? I can bring my clothes here and get ready her. I'll only be about two hours"

"I'll be fine" I forced a smile.

"Ok. I won't be long" she left.

I cleaned up Lucca's toys that had been left out then went into the bathroom for a shower.

I let the water soak around me. I had butterflies. What was I nervous for? I'd known Lizzie for a while now. Was I falling in love with her? I shook my head.

After washing I climbed out and dried. I wrapped the towel around me then walked into the bedroom. What would I wear?

I slipped on a pair of jeans and a shirt. Smart and casual seemed like the best look.

Later, we were heading to an Italian restaurant I'd passed a few times but never been in.

When we went in the atmosphere was cool. We were seated and started to look through the menus.

Lizzie chose spaghetti carbonara and I had a lasagne.

When the food came, she was adamant I let her try mine and she let me try hers. I did as I was told and fed her lasagne of my fork and she fed me carbonara off hers. We probably looked like a couple on a date.

We both nodded in approval of each others food then continued to eat our own. We spoke throughout the meal, about the atmosphere of the restaurant, the food, and whatever else popped up.

When we had finished, I paid the bill then we made our way out to the car.

"I really enjoyed tonight" Lizzie smiled.

"Me too" we stopped when we got to the car.

"Tristan?"

"Yeah?"

"Thank you" she smiled.

"For what?"

"For teaching me to fall in love and protect the ones I love"

She stepped towards me and hugged me. I hugged her back, holding her against me. Wow, I did love her.

"I love you too" I whispered.

She leaned up and kissed me. "Lets go home"

I nodded and we got into the car.