Chapter 5

When I finished my song and started to cry, Jake came up to comfort me. He held me while I cried into his chest. I liked the feeling of him holding me. I loved the way his arms felt around me. Noticing the way I felt made me realize that I’d been lying to myself. I didn’t like Jacob as only a friend, I liked him as more. Half way through my crying episode, I stopped crying over my mother – although I still missed her terribly – and started crying over Jake. It hurt to think that I liked him more than he would ever like me. I had liked Jake for a while, I now realized, but he lived in La Push and I lived in California. Plus, I had a boyfriend, so I never let myself admit my true feelings toward my best friend. But now everything’s changed. Now I actually had a chance. I stopped crying and took Jake’s hand as he offered to help me up. He led me downstairs. Now I was standing in front of the pack waiting for someone to say something.

“We heard you singing.” Embry finally said. “You’re really good.”

I could feel my cheeks getting hot. “Thanks.”

            “I didn’t know you write songs, sing, and play the guitar. When did you start?” Sam asked.

            “A long time ago. It’s kind of like my way to express my feelings. Mom was the only one who knew.”

Jake squeezed my hand and smiled at me.

            “Cool. So, anyway, Quil, and I are going on patrol now. Leah and Seth will go after us. Paul and Jared are last.  Jake and Embry, you get the day off.” Sam said.

            “Sweet!” Embry smiled.

Sam and Quil made their way out the door.

            “So, what do you guys wanna do?” Seth asked.

            “Truth or dare!” Jared suggested.

            “Okay!” I smiled, let go of Jake’s hand, and went to sit next to Jared on the floor in the living room. Everyone else joined in to make a circle. Seth sat on the other side of me and Jake sat across from me. He smiled.

            “I’ll start. Seth, truth or dare?” Jared asked.

            “Ummm… truth.” Seth decided.

            “Okay. What’s your biggest fear?”

            “Spiders.” Seth mumbled.

            “The big, bad wolf is afraid of spiders?” I laughed.

            “Spiders are just… I don’t know… I just hate spiders!” Seth defended. I smirked. “Okay, Sierra, truth or dare?” Seth asked me.

            “Dare.” I said. Seth smirked at Jake then looked at me.

            “I dare you to kiss Jake.” Seth said. Jake’s eyes widened and mine did the same.

            “Uh, my phone’s vibrating. I need to take that. I’ll be in my room.” I lied, avoiding Jake’s eyes and hurrying to my room.

~Leah’s POV~

            I watched her hurry up the stairs.

            “Oh man! That must’ve hurt! Especially coming from your imprint!” Jared laughed. I looked at Jake. He looked embarrassed.

            “I’m gonna go talk to her. Be right back.” I muttered. I got up and hurried up the stairs to her room. I knocked on the door.