Chapter 13

“Uh, Sam? What’s wrong?” I asked. Jacob took his place behind me and wrapped his arms around me.

            “The Police Department of California just called and said that you are under arrest.” Sam replied.

            “What? I didn’t do anything!” I shrieked.

            “I didn’t think you did anything.” Sam assured.

            “Then why am I under arrest? I didn’t do anything wrong! I swear!” I complained.

            “We all know that. But that doesn’t change the fact that the cops will be here for you soon.” Sam was annoyingly calm.

            I felt Jacob tighten his arms around me. “They are not talking her.” He growled.

            “Well, duh they’re not! Nine massive wolves against some cops. Psh! Piece of cake!” Paul shrugged.

            “That’s not an option,” Sam argued. “The whole state of Washington would go crazy if cops reported nine huge wolves roaming through La Push. We’re not risking the secret.”

            “Then what do we do?” Embry asked.

            “I haven’t exactly figured that out yet.” Sam admitted.

I groaned in frustration.

            “Wait! What about Charlie?” Jacob asked. “He can help! After all, I did protect Bella. Plus he’s my dad’s best friend. He’ll do anything Billy asks him to do.”

Bella? Who was that? I started getting jealous. “Um, who’s Charlie? Bella?” I asked. Jacob laughed.

            “Charlie is Billy’s best friend. Bella is his daughter and my friend.”

            “Your friend?”

            “Yes, don’t worry so much!” Jacob assured.

            “What did you save her from?”

I swear that every wolf in the room cringed.

            “Well, she married a vampire and they had a kid. The hybrid kid was literally killing her from the inside out. She was obsessed with the thing until I finally convinced her to let the doctor vamp take it out of her. They both lived. If she wouldn’t have listened to me, they’d both be dead.”

            “She married a vampire?” I asked, horrified.

            “Yup. Gross, huh? She got him to bite her so now she’s a vamp too.”

I shuddered.

            “How did he not kill her?” I wondered.

            “Guess he loved her too much. Yeah, I know. It’s weird.”

            “I’d say.” I mumbled. “So, what do they have to do with this?”

            “Well, Charlie is a cop. He should be able to help.” Jake explained.

            “Okay then! What are we waiting for? Let’s go!”

I turned around and made my way through the kitchen when someone banged on the door.

            “California Police! Open this door immediately or we will have to break it down!”

I froze in terror and turned to look at the boys. They all stood there, not knowing what to do.

Finally Sam got up and made his way to the door. Jake came to me and grabbed my hand. I gulped. Going to jail was so not the plan for today.