Chapter 2

I woke up to bright lights shining over me.

Am I dead?

            “Oh good! You’re finally waking up!”

No, I guess not…

I slowly opened my eyes and looked around; I was in a hospital.

            “How do you feel?” Someone asked me, coming into view. He looked like a doctor; he was wearing a lab coat type thing. He had shaggy black hair and brown eyes. He looked to be in his late 20’s.

            “What happened?” I asked weakly. I looked at his name tag; it said “Dr. McKinley”.

            “There was an earthquake. Once the shaking stopped, a rescue team came by your house and found you and your family buried in the rubble.” Dr. McKinley’s face fell.

Memories started flooding back into my mind. The shaking. Me falling. My mother’s cry…

            “My family. Are they OK?” I asked. Dr. McKinley wouldn’t meet my eyes.

            “I’m sorry, but your sister died on the way to the hospital from excessive amount of blood loss. Your mother is still alive but she is in horrible shape. We guess she has only hours to live… I am so sorry.” His face fell.

I processed him words and started to cry. My sister died? My mom is dying? No! No, no, no, NO! This can’t be!

            “D-D-D-Dead and d-d-dying… Where are t-t-they?” I said in-between sobs.

            “Your mother is in the room next door. Your sister was taken to the hospital’s morgue. Again, I am so sorry.”

            “Can I see them?” I cried.

            “Yes.” Dr. McKinley helped me out of bed and to the room next door. I walked in and saw my mom. She was just laying there; I would have thought she was dead if her chest wasn’t rising and falling. Her beautiful curly brown hair was spread across the pillow. All color was drained from her face. I knelt next to my mom’s bed.

            “Mommy?” I whispered, taking her hand. She slowly opened her eyes and looked at me.

            “Sierra. You’re alright.”

            “Mommy, will you be OK?” I started crying again.

            “Listen to me Sierra. My time in this life is about to end. You need to understand that this is how it’s supposed to be. You need to be strong. I’ll always be with you. In your heart.” She gave a weak smile. “It’ll be OK. I promise. You’ll be alright. I love you.”

I started to cry even harder.

            “No! Mom, don’t leave me! Please!”

The heart monitor she was hooked up to began to slow.

            “Mom!” I screamed.

            “You need to be strong. You can do it. You’re a strong girl. I’ve lived a full life; it’s my time to leave this world.” She took a shaky breath. “Don’t mourn in the past. Take care of yourself and remember that I love you.” She whispered.

Then her hand went limp in mine and the heart monitor went silent.

            “I-I-I love you!” I whispered. I started at her still figure and just cried. My mom was gone. I started to cry hysterically. It all happened just as if I were part of a sob story.