Prologue

When I was just a baby, my parents got divorced. My father kept my older brother, Sam in La Push Washington, where we lived at the time, and my mother took me to California. I would visit my brother and father every summer for two weeks. I loved La Push. I grew up with Sam’s friends over the summers and they became my friends as well. Paul Lahote, Jared Cameron, and Jacob Black where the ones that I knew and liked the best. The others were far older than me, so I wasn’t associated with them as much.

When Sam turned 19, he phased into a werewolf. It was during those two weeks when I was visiting for the year when he snapped at me for taking the last muffin. He started to shake and then exploded into a huge black wolf right there in the kitchen. It was a miracle that he didn’t hurt me. My father explained everything to us that day. He also told me – I was 13 at the time — that I would phase into a werewolf someday too.

Paul Lahote phased into a wolf when he was 16 and I was 14. Because there was now another werewolf in La Push, Sam and Paul became a pack, Sam being the Alpha because he phased first. A few months following Paul’s transformation, Jared phased. He became part of the pack too. Sam stopped hanging around his other, older friends. All his focus was on the pack. We couldn’t tell anyone about werewolves, not even our own mother. I only knew because I was there when Sam transformed. Jacob knew only because his father, Billy was on the high council – he was one of the Elders that made decisions concerning the Pack and the Quileute tribe. Jacob and I hung out alone more because we weren’t part of the pack. We soon became best friends.

Over time, my summer visits to La Push would become longer, until I would spend the whole summer there. Only two months after Jared phased, my father was killed. He was attacked by a vampire. Sam was furious. He phased into his wolf and wouldn’t phase back for two weeks. He, along with Paul and Jared, found and killed the vampire that killed my dad. I was a mess. It was as hard on me as it was on Sam. That was two summers ago. Now I’m 16 and a sophomore in High School. I live with my mom and my 7 year old half sister, Lizzy. This summer, I’m going back to La Push like always. Only this time, it will be for a different reason.