Chapter 44

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Suddenly, Louis gives a low, aching cry. His body slumps towards me, and I grasp his shoulders, half surprised, half terrified.
I have no idea what's going on.

"Louis. Louis, answer me!" I demand, my voice entwined with the panic that's thrumming through my veins. He looks almost in pain. His eyes flutter, not focusing on me, but glazing past.

"Louis," I hiss, clutching his shoulders. "Dear God, I love you, you're scaring me!"

But he flinches before I finish my sentence, and suddenly, he screams - a horrifying, agonizing, high-pitched scream. His eyeballs roll in his head, and then his eyelids obscure his beautiful sea-colored eyes.

I stare at him, my brain fogged in shock.

The whole arena has become deathly silent.

The other boys are frozen, poised towards us, unmoving, all looking somewhere between shock and horror.

"Louis?" I whisper, and my microphone catches my voice, finally.

All at once, the whole audience begins panicking.
Screams and shouts of "LOUIS! LOUIS! OH MY GOSH, LOUIS!" are repeatedly heard, and the other boys suddenly run up to the boxes.

"Louis, wake up. Wake up!" I scream, my brain etched with the horror that he isn't going to wake up, he's not going to live, he's going to die -

"Louis!" comes Niall's panicked cry. "Liam, what happened?"

"I don't know!" Liam shouts.

Some rational part of my brain not panicking at the loss of consciousness of my love forces me to press my fingers against Louis's neck, right where his pulse is.

"He has a pulse," I say, suddenly ridden with sobs. Tears threaten my eyes, and I can't stop them from falling freely. Liam bends over to check his breathing, while Zayn and Niall run for help, and I shake him desperately. Fans have called ambulances, I think.

"It's faint, I can hardly hear it!" Liam says, panicking. "He needs CPR or something, oh, gosh, oh - "

Liam begins pumping his chest, just like we were taught a while back.
It's important, Paul had claimed, to know CPR. Just incase you get in to a situation where no one can help you, and one of you chokes or something, it's important.
Needless to say, we learnt first-aid as well.

"He's breathing better!" Liam gasps, and I send endless prayers and thanks to Paul. Had he been nearby, I would practically kiss him.

I instead resort to bursting in to full-on tears and sobbing in to Louis's neck, where his pulse beats clear and hard. "Stay alive, you idiot," I sob. "Don't you dare die on me, or I'll follow you to heaven and bring you back myself. I don't care if I have to hitch a ride on some stupid angel's wings, just please don't stop breathing."

I curl my fingers in his hair, while Liam holds my arm and whispers things like, he's okay, he's going to be alright, just let's get him to the hospital, he'll wake up in a jiffy. I press an anguished kiss to his lips, his lips which aren't too plump, but are nice and smooth. He tastes like tea.

"I love you, you complete and absolute moron," I tell him, "And I won't let you leave me."

And suddenly, the audience is screaming again, and I remember I'm in public. And the fan just saw me kiss Louis, and the microphone just caught what I said.

I swear loudly, and Liam follows suit. I think the mike caught our language, as well.

I look at Liam wildly, my hands still tangled in Louis's shirt. "I'm so sorry," I gasp. "I didn't mean - "