Chapter 31

Kelley's POV

"TOBIN!" I scream at the top of my lungs.

I watch in terror as Morgan and Tobin descend into the water.

"HOLY SHIT!" I yell, and grab Christen, running to the car.

Alex and Meghan and JJ are close behind.

Meghan gets in my car, and JJ goes with Alex.

I begin to drive like a lunatic to the lower beach. My hands turn white on the steering wheel. I cant bring myself to think about anything else. My mind replays the moment.

Morgan steps back, and falls backward. Tobin jumps after her, pulling them both farther out, to avoid the worst of the rocks. But that doesn't mean the impact won't kill them.

I can't lose them both. Not one, not the other.

This is my worst nightmare.

I get to the bottom, and don't bother putting my car in park or locking it. I sprint down to the water's edge, and scan the area. Farther out, I see the ripples where they landed.

And bodies.

I see bodies.

I take my shirt off leaving me in my sports bra and shorts and start to swim out towards the ripples.

I hear yelling on shore, but I don't stop. I keep going. And then I hear splashing behind me.

I turn for a second and see Alex coming after me. I pick up the speed. I'm close now, and the bodies are on the side of a rock, waves pushing them up and pulling them back.

"Tobin!" I yell. "Morgan!"

I get to the rock, and climb onto it, pulling them up with me.

"Wake up!" I cry.

I hold Morgan in my left arm and Tobin in my right arm. They're both cold. Tobin has a nasty gash on the upper right side of her forehead, and Morgan's arm is cut, and probably broken.

Alex reaches me, and takes Tobin out of my arms. She checks her pulse.

"Tobin!" She yells. We jump back into the water and begin to swim back to shore.

Something bumps my leg, and it's not Alex or Morgan. I swim faster. Morgan slips from my grasp and goes under.

I hold my breath and dive down. I almost scream. My heart races. I grab Morgan's body, and punch the shark in their weak spot. The nose. It releases her leg, and blood is everywhere in the water, turning it pink. I pull Morgan back to the surface and trying to go as fast as I can to shore. I see an ambulance and police and fire trucks come, and I go faster. I hear a scream.

I'm on shore now, so I drop Morgan and face the scream.

"ALEX!" I yell, and swim back out into the water. There's a ton of splashing, and then it's silent. No splashes. "HOLD ON!" I yell.

I dive under, where I last saw the splashing.

The same shark has Alex, and Tobin is drifting off, underwater.

I swim to Alex and punch the shark repeatedly in the nose so then it bleeds, and it lets her go. I push Alex to the surface, then dive back down. I spot Tobin, and swim down to her. I hope she's alive.

I drag her body back to the surface, and hold her above my shoulder. I grab Alex's arm and haul them both to shore, somehow.

On shore, I lay on my back and pass out.

Christen's POV

"Kelley!" I yell, and sprint to where she is laying, just on the water's edge, so the waves brush her feet. I put my finger under her jaw line, checking her pulse. She's alive. Good.

The medics get Alex, Tobin, and Morgan on a stretcher. They hurry to my side.

"She just fainted, she'll be fine!" I yell at them. "Don't touch her!" I scream at a man who almost lifts her up. He backs away slowly, hands up in defeat.

I hold Kelley close. The water was freezing. It's December. Dammit Kelley, why'd you have to almost kill me from fear?

I hold her tight, and she coughs, waking up.

"Jesus Chris let go of me I need air" She wheezes, and I release her. She falls back against the sand and takes deep breaths.

"You asshole" I laugh, and hug her.

"Are they okay?" She asks.

"I...I uh, don't know. They went to the hospital" I tell her. She stands up, legs shaking.

"Let's go then" She decides.

I take her. 

My friends better live.

And when they do, I'm going to give Morgan and Tobin the best hugs of their lives. But they have to survive first.