Chapter 35

JJ's POV

"Tobin, how long have you known Kelley?" I ask Tobin.

"For ever. Our parents were good friends before my parents....well, you know. But anyway, we were best friends and after my parents went crazy we kept being friends. We just grew closer" Tobin chuckles.

"Then you know about Hope Solo" I say. It's risky, because I don't know exactly what's going to come of it.

Tobin's face goes pale, and she goes silent.

"You do know Hope Solo, right?" I ask.

She nods. "I do. But Hope doesn't know me" she frowns. "Not anymore" She whispers under her breath.

"What do you mean, not anymore?" I ask.

Tobin sighs, and shakes her head.

"It's nothing" She tells me.

"It's obviously something" I say.

"Come on JJ. It's nothing" She tells me again.

"Tobin. I need to know what's up so I can protect her better" I say. "She's been acting weird around me, and I hate seeing that!"

"Why is she acting weird?" Tobin's eyes went wide. "She didn't run into Hope, did she?"

"Yes actually. Us three went out for coffee together" I say.

"Keep her away from Hope" Tobin growls.

"Not until you tell me what's going on!" I say.

"Keep her away from Hope! No questions asked!" Tobin yells, then pushes me out the door. "If you want to keep Kelley happy and safe, do that one thing!" Tobin yells, then slammed the door shut.

"Well that didn't work" I whisper, heading back to my dorm.

Inside, Kelley was hanging out with Christen.

"Hey roomie. Where were you?" Kelley asks with a small smile.

"Walking around" I smile, sitting on my bed.

I pull out a textbook, and study for a little.

"Hey Chris, I'm going to go check on Alex. Maybe she wants to hang with us" Kelley said.

"Okay!" Christen grinned, pecking Kelley on the cheek.

Right when Kelley closed the door, I sat in front of Christen.

"Christen, I need you to tell me everything that happened between Kelley and Hope" I say.

"But-"

"I said tell me! The only way I can keep her safe is if I know what's going on"

"Hope isn't even-"

"Yes she is! She is in my class! She is here. Kelley and Hope ran into each other!" I say.

Christen purses her lips.

"Okay. I'll tell you, but you never heard it from me" Christen says.

There's a knock on the door.

"Tonight outside the football field entrance" I say.

"Fine" Christen says. "Six o'clock"

"Good" I smile.

"Hey let me in!" Kelley yells, hitting the door again.

I laugh and open it, letting her in.

"About time!" Kelley playfully shoves my shoulder. "I was about to die of old age!"

I laughed.

I am finally going to figure out what's going on with Kelley and Hope.

--------------------

I spotted Christen standing where I asked her to be. I waved. She waved.

"Tell me now" I command.

"Okay. So back in high school, Hope and Kelley dated. They were the ideal couple. But, once Hope's parents past away in a plane crash, she shut everyone out. Even Kelley. Kelley desperately tried to help Hope, but she couldn't. No one could at that point. She turned to drugs and alcohol, and became unfaithful to Kelley" Christen said. My mouth was hanging, and my eyes hurt. Probably from tears I was holding back.

Hope, a bad person? That's not right. I can't see any of that happening.

"So Kelley did the only thing she could. She sent Hope to rehab. They practically brainwashed her with their methods. And when they let her out, she didn't even know who Kelley was. Familiar, but couldn't pin point who she was. It broke Kelley" Christen bit her lip. She was hiding something. She always bit her lip when she was hiding something.

"There's more to it" I whisper.

"No" She bit her lip harder.

"You always bite your lip when you lie. Tell me all of it" I say, smirking.

Christen sighs, shaking her head.

"Hope did it with Kelley a few times. But then after her parents died, she basically raped Kelley, and beat her. I remember letting her into my house at three in the morning. She was just so broken" Christen is almost crying. "That's why Hope is someone not to be messed with. That's why Kelley is so afraid and hating on Hope" She adds bitterly.

"Hope isn't like that anymore" I whisper, staring into the night sky.

"Why take a chance?" Christen asks.

I don't know how to respond to that.

"Goodnight JJ. And it would do you good to stay away from Hope too" Christen hugs me, then leaves.

I stay. I stare at the sky, and wonder how a person so caring like Hope could ever be the monster that Christen described.

A/N
I didn't have school today, but I'll have it for the rest of this week. So I hope you enjoyed the chapter!
-Kennedy