I still love you

Peet and I lay snuggled on the couch. No. We're not together sadly. I still love him though. But I'm such a coward that I don't dare tell him. Plus, he probably doesn't feel the same way anymore. He's back to his old self. He still has flashbacks sometimes, but they're not violent anymore.

"I should get going. It's getting dark." Peeta says getting up.

"No. Please. Stay with me?" I say holding onto his arm.

"You know I would. God, I wouldn't think about it, but I'm not safe for you anymore." He says.

"Please, Peeta, please." I plead.

"I'm a monster, Katniss! I can't! I'm sorry." He says the last sentence barely above a whisper.

"No you're not!" I exclaim.

"Yes I am! I almost killed you with my own two hands!" He replies raising his tone.

"But you didn't! You didn't kill anyone!" I raise my tone too.

"I killed someone, you see. I killed the boy who used to be me." He says looking directly to my eyes. I see those baby blue eyes and that sparkle they used to her back. The clouded, tortured look forever gone. I know he's.

"You're wrong! You're still the same Peeta that saved me countless times! You're still here! More damaged, but you found your way back!" To me I add in my mind.

"Katniss, I tried to kill you!" He says in a frustrated tone.

"But you didn't! That wasn't you! But you're back now!" I say.

"I should go." He says grabbing his jacket and opening the door.

"Peeta, wait!" I say. He turns and looks at me. "I still love you. Please. Stay with me?" I say. A tear falls down from my face.

He drops his jacket to the ground and comes towards me. He pulls me in and gives me fiery kiss. Oh, how much had I missed his lips against mine. I kiss back and that hunger from back in the arena consumes me. Only this time is 10x stronger.

"Always. I love you too." He says breaking the kiss.

I hug him as if I let go he'll disappear. He hugs me just as tight. That night he stays. And the next one. And the next one. And my nightmares become less and less. I'm just glad I have my Peeta back.